FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-09-2010, 09:32 AM

That'd be really great. I was going to retap the hole or something but I'd love original parts!
Unread 04-09-2010, 12:50 PM

It's on its way!
Unread 04-09-2010, 03:43 PM

Default Headlight Bulbs

Both of my running Benlys are 1966 C95's, not CA95. All of the C95 headlights that I've seen have reflector/lens units with replaceable bulbs. I have only seen one that had the bulb sealed into it. Out of curiosity: were these bulb/reflector/lens sealed units only used on the CA95's?
If you can find them, GE #2330 dual filament headlight bulbs fit the replaceable lamp units perfectly. They are 6V 32/32 candle power and I'm guessing are probably from auto use in the 1930's or so.
Unread 04-10-2010, 04:40 AM

How would a GE bulb fit? These are square-ish round bulbs.

And yes, every stock CA95 light I've seen is sealed.
Unread 04-10-2010, 03:19 PM

Default Round Bulbs In Square Headlamps

So it must be just a C95 thing to have a separate headlamp unit and bulb. Here are a few photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1078.jpg (51.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1079.jpg (45.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1085.jpg (38.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1090.jpg (43.2 KB, 20 views)
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:08 PM

anyone try a halogen bulb?
what about the headlight modulators? New rider and I'm thinking I might want someone to see me coming. Just started to look into them, and it looks like there is a lot to consider, especially considering I am going to have to modify my current housing to fit a new bulb.
Unread 12-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Oh boy, riding my Benly 150 at night is the last thing I would want to do... all black paint and hardly any light emanating from the headlight or rear running light. There has to be a good way to get a bring 6v lighting system. I would just need the spare time to build the circuits!

This is a pretty good idea to make it happen thought. I would like to be able to ride my CB72 / Superhawk 250 at night sometime without getting run over as well.
Unread 12-16-2010, 12:34 PM

Actually the stock headlight wasn't bad at night. Impressed me by how bright it was!
Unread 12-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Admin

Hmmm I'm going to have to look closer at mine next time I fire it up.
Unread 12-16-2010, 06:23 PM

Below is a great place to get 6 volt L.E.D. bulbs for the 6 volt Honda's. Your/our CA95's and CA160's have 1157 type bases. You can buy 6 volt 1156 bulbs to fit add on bullet lights. These bulbs come in white/amber & red.

I have thought about putting a rechargeable 12 volt system in the old bikes with a charger adapter for the wall. This way you could add 12 volt extra headlights for the front just for those warm night scoots

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...57-x12-24V.htm
Unread 12-23-2010, 07:18 AM

Default Halogen conversion

I couldn't find any comprehensive information on Halogen headlights, so here is what I did. Please correct me with anything I did wrong. I don't want to fry anything.
So I found a 6 volt H4 bulb from Mac auto parts in lockport, ny. I drilled out the old bulb and used a torch to remove the metal part of the bulb (I'd be more careful next time. I bubbled about 1 inch diameter of the reflective paint). Put the new halogen in and looked to create a removable housing. After 2 dollars at a pull a part, I made a nice looking one, but it would not fit back in the bike. So, I wired it direct to the three posts (if you hold the bulb so there is no post at 12 oclock, ground is 3 oclock, lowbeam is 6, and high is 9 oclock).
Rode down to the MVD and got it registered.
The light is real bright, and I am not overly concerned with the draw off the battery (55 w lowbeam, 60 watt highbeam), I did some calculations before I bought the bulb and think the generator should put off enough juice. That being said, I am a relative newbie when it comes to electrical. I did blow a fuse when I tried the highbeam with it running.
I'm thinking I need to run a separate line from the battery for the headlight (with its own 15 amp fuse). High and low work great when the bike isn't running. I think there is just enough draw to fry the fuse with it running.
If I run another line from the battery, I don't know a way to wire it to the ignition. Unless anyone has any bright ideas (no pun intended) I think I will just have to make sure I shut the headlight off every time as it will be run direct to the battery.
Thanks for any input anyone may have. Please tell me I'm crazy if you think I'm going to melt my bike (halogen's can burn up to 1000 degrees although lower wattage, volts burn closer to 300-400).
Brett
Unread 12-23-2010, 10:58 AM

Sounds cool, have any pics?

The only thing I'd be worried about is overworking the already weak CA95 stator.
Unread 12-23-2010, 01:39 PM

no pics yet. I'll get some up as soon as I get it running right. There are actually 2 electrical problems. At some point, probably when I was putting the cool looking but too big headlight v 1.0 in, I knocked the blinker power cord off of the ignition wiring cluster thing (technical terms, i'm sure). Tried to solder it, but couldn't. It looks like I need to solder to brass and it wasn't sticking. May need a different kind of solder?
want to cruise it around more, but holiday season in downtown phoenix is not the time to be risking riding around with no headlight/ blinkers.
Unread 12-23-2010, 01:41 PM

I thought you misspelled starter till i realized that didn't make sense and looked it up. After realizing the stator is part of the generator, i'm nervous.
Unread 12-24-2010, 07:56 AM
Admin

Yo Brett just wire in a relay! Problem solved.