FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-06-2011, 09:46 AM

Default The bike's sleeping outside, or I am

So I am still having issues with fuel leaking out the carb overflow. It has constantly been an intermittent issue (if that makes sense. It just seems to leak when it wants through this whole process.)
Started out by adjusting the float level. Thought it was fixed. Rode it a few times and it would just leak occassionally with what seemed like no rhyme or reason.
Replaced the float needle and seat. Same thing. Took it apart and checked things again. Same thing.
Sometimes it is leaking right away, more often, it will be fine for hours. Then I go to sleep, it leaks all over the garage. The wife says that one of us is sleeping outside. I've opted for the bike at this point.
I read somewhere about bikes having pressure differences created in the gas tank if they are not properly venting. could this be the issue?
I know the cap is supposed to vent, but there is not a good way of how to clean it in the manual. I'm guessing that air is supposed to vent up the whole in the middle and then in between the two layers of metal that comprise the cap. Is this true? Maybe my cap isn't original. My father in law did mention that he had a locking cap on it in the seventies.
I have started opening the cap after each ride to see if that evens out pressures and makes a difference, and haven't had any issues in a few days, but who knows if it will return.
Or, does anyone know a cheap but awesome old school mechanic in Phoenix whole can help trouble shoot this before my nice factory paint job is out in the 100 degree sun.
Unread 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM

Just a thought but are you turning the petcock to the off position when you park the bike . If that should eliminate the fuel tank from the equasion .
Also if you have the carb apart check that the floats are not hanging up on the carb body any any point
Unread 04-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Experienced peoples recommend drilling a hole through the top of the fuel cap to solve various problems. Sound like you have one of these problems! Just keep loosening the fuel cap and if it isn't an issue the next couple of rides I would assume you found the problem. I'm going to take a closer look at the fuel cap on my bike today. I'll report back if I can think of any options besides drilling the thing out.

What do you say guys?
Unread 04-06-2011, 02:06 PM

The original cap on the CA95 was vented. It also had a cork gasket. The cap vents under the gasket. The wrong gasket can block the vent.

Try turning off the fuel petcock while the engine is still running. The engine should stall out. The bowl will be close to empty at that point.

If the bike still leaks (after sitting) it means that the petcock is not stopping the flow of fuel. So you have a petcock problem. Usually the petcock spring has gotten weak and the gasket "sandwich" is weak and thus not sealing.

A poorly vented tank will also build pressure in the sun and force the fuel pass the carb float causing a leak. I always carried a white towel to cover the black tank on my CA95 while living in southern Kentucky to keep the tank cool.
Unread 04-07-2011, 06:35 PM

the petcock is certainly not shutting off all of the way. I rebuilt with the honda gasket kit, but it didn't contain the cork. I replaced everything else, but it was still leaking. replaced the cork with cork rubber and it stopped it for about a day. would rubber work better? wine cork?
Still seems to not be leaking when I open cap, so I think it is both issues. I've been wrong before on this issue though.
oddly enough, sometimes my clear fuel filter is full of gas, sometimes, there is just a little bit in it. seems to add credence to the funky air pressure issue.
thanks,
brett