FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-06-2012, 02:59 AM

It may have been mentioned before, elsewhere, on why VIN numbers and years on titles don't match production numbers. Back in the Day, it would often take TWO years from the time the VIN was produced in either Japan or Europe/UK, to ship, warehouse, deliver to dealer and eventually be sold. Quite often leftover bikes from previous years were sold with titles to the year sold. My Norton was assembled in '71, titled in '73.
Now, as for my CA95 titled as '62, I have the maintenance records going WAY back into the 60s, receipts from the dealer,etc. But the motor has NO numbers stamped in the crosshatched spot where VIN numbers should be located. And, I can find NO numbers anywhere on the frame! Any secret, hidden spots to find any numbers on the frame? No record of the motor having ever been changed out, and if a replacement was made, I'd expect to find motor number still.

Last edited by Missourimike; 04-06-2012 at 03:06 AM. Reason: additional info
Unread 04-06-2012, 05:22 AM

Wow, Spokes maybe you should go get some lottery titckets I think the odds of seeing the same numbers on a frame for these bikes are astounding.

M.Mike....Remove the left side cover, the frame number should below and to the right of the side cover, on the bottom edge lip; before the body starts to turn into the curve for the rear fender. Beware some of the numbers are poorly stamped, and if it has been painted over; even harder to see.

If you don't have a title; you'll have to remove that section of paint, to find it or fill out DMV forms to issue it a new number to be placed on it...make sure you have all the paper work. DMV's vary from state to state in requirements and disposition.
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:21 PM

Its amazing how you guys find this kind of information. I wouldn't even know where to start looking for this but here on this forum. That being said, does anyone have this kind of info for the CA160's?
Unread 08-14-2013, 05:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

We could have just made up those numbers, too ... who would know? And if anybody argued the accuracy, that would mean that they had the real numbers. It's a win-win situation.
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:24 AM

Just asking because I found a guy that 3 of them that are in pretty rough shape. They are actually missing quite a few parts but I can probably get 2 working out of them with a lot of work and some parts. He doesn't know the years of them. Just wondering how to tell what year they are by the frame numbers.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:35 AM

Great thread (and revival) BTL.
Ok... you made me go and look. One of my current projects is a CA160 to CB92 tribute bike called "QwaziMoto" and has a clear 1st year number 1014260/E1014299. Ok fine this about CA95s and I had one, CA95, on deck for the next project "Tangerine Dream".
Until I saw this thread.
Oh, I'll let the guys know about these numbers.... go and look...the bike turns out to be another CA160 that the guy I bought from thought was a CA95 and took his word on it, still no problem. I was looking forward to this build as my first CA95 and am just finishing the 150 engine (E5010089) built to go in this bike. Upon inspection I found the frame to be CA160-1001653.
So no Ca95 for me ( I do have another frame 5005963 but it's basically yard art and the engine is supposed to go to Spokes' latest (for you Chip E5005801)).
I guess I have to decide now whether to build the bike as a 160 w/150 engine (who would really care) or which direction to take (I'm running out of 160 engines until Steverinomiester unloads his new collection on me???).
Now I have to think and that hurts sometimes....
Opinions or thoughts are welcome.
L
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:55 PM

Thanks Larz..I'm really looking forward to meet somewhere to pick up the CA95 engine. The one thing I can say for sure is that the 64-65 CA95 & the 66-69 CA160's are exactly the same..except for the engine, gas tank panels, wiring harness and the chain guard. The only difference between the chain guards is at the engine. So only a few people will know that the "160" frame has a "150 engine....

I say go for it.
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:15 AM

And I am pretty sure the brake pedal too...
Just waiting to hear if things are settling down for you Chip (wrt xfer).

I knew there wouldn't be much too worry about regarding the engine stuff... and I'll have to wait until Sam chimes in but last night I thought about using the new 150 engine on the CB92 tribute bike to be more "authentic". However a screaming demon in my head still wants to pump up a 160 and use it in the 'tribute' racing bike.
On the other hand the tank is coming along... I'll see if I can't make mess out of welding it up this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2766a.jpg (194.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2769a.jpg (109.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Larzfromarz; 08-16-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:42 AM

We're on the same page...almost. Here is a shot of my salvation bike mock up with the solo seat and custom tank. The tank will have original mounts and an updated petcock. The center will house the electrical needs like the big bikes. The tank is from a Kawasaki 100 Dirt Bike, cut in half.
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:44 AM

Should be interesting to see the interpretations when done. I just could not go with a solo seat in that spot so I'll have a bum stopper cafe/cb92 seat pan that is the next fabrication project. Actually two projects, because I want to use the rear fender "ducktail" to make the bum stop and house the tail light in that as a possible option. Additionally all of the electrical bits will be placed in the frame where the air filter goes (once I commit to engine choice). Still planning on the CB160 or 175 head, so dual carbs would be the order of the day. I'll use a curved intake tube for each to clear the frame. Gets closer almost everyday.

So is the xfer on or no?
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:39 PM

Yea, the final products will be cool. I will know more about possible transfers in October.

Tags
ca95, engine, frame, honda, production