FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Honda Dream CA160

Honda Dream CA160 The old black horse

Unread 08-20-2011, 11:42 AM

Dad was here, so we bought a few tools I didn't have then went to work. Did all regular maintenance stuff: changed oil, set points, adjusted the timing, changed the plugs.

I pick up the battery Monday (if it actually comes in, was promised yesterday), but after toying around, it seems the spark plug wires need replaced. The plastic caps where they connect to the plugs (don't know technical name) are cracked, so at least the plastic parts need replaced, but I'm thinking replace it all.

Thoughts? I read in another thread that I can replace them with 7mm snowmobile wires, but I live in Houston so those would be hard to find. I'm thinking of stopping by an Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts to see if they have them, otherwise it's Ohiocycle.com.

Are these easy to change? They run up through the frame, so that might be a chore, but not too bad.

Edit: I just did some digging. Looks like the most cost effective way to go is buy spark plug wire splices and new caps. Thoughts?

Last edited by JasonandMichell; 08-20-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Unread 08-20-2011, 12:14 PM

Sorry to be the only one responding to your questions. But I have repaired lot's of CA95 & CA160 parts.

I buy my 7mm snowmobile spark plug wire off of ebay. You can also get "solid wire core" 7mm spark plug wire from Auto Zone and the like. Sometimes you can even get the wire and boot in one assembly.

Forget Ohio Cycle for these kinds of things. Go to www.hondaminitrail.com for your spark plug caps.

To replace the wire in the coil:

Chip away the hard plastic sealant at the point that the spark plug wire enters the coil. Once cleaned away simply pull the wire out. The coil has a "spike" that the wire pushes into. Reinsert the new wire and reseal the wire back in with a little sealant. I use a small amount of fiberglass resin to seal the wire, but regular tube type sealant will work.

Last edited by Spokes; 08-23-2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: sp
Unread 08-23-2011, 09:00 AM

I called an Autozone and they have the wire, but not the caps.

I just called the website below which is CHP out of Tyler, Texas. The gal on the phone had no idea what I was talking about and told me she couldn't help me. I'm assuming I want the following (info based on the CT70 page):

Spark Plug Boot, NGK
Item number 14
Model KO-78
for $3.50

Spokes, is this what I should tell her I need? Thanks again for all the answers.
Unread 08-23-2011, 01:43 PM

Yes. The NGK spark plug boots will work. I'm sure that the gal you spoke to has no idea of what your doing.

Let me know if you have further problems. I have extra 7mm wire and a good set of used spark plug boots.
Unread 08-26-2011, 05:19 PM

Spokes, thanks for the wire/boots.

So I'm looking for the coil by means of following the plug wires back up. It seems like it's mounted somewhere in the frame. Any ideas on how to get back in there?

Also, I was putting my new battery in when, as I was twisting the battery to put it in the battery box, the old corroded hot terminal broke off. I guess I have to wait till another day to test lights, batteries, etc. I guess this is how it goes.

Last edited by JasonandMichell; 08-26-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Unread 08-26-2011, 07:53 PM

Your welcome!

You will see two 10mm nuts on top of the frame, just south of the seat mount. With the air filter removed, reach forward inside the frame while removing the nuts. The coil will fall free. I have replaced the spark plug wires on the coil while still plugged into the harness, incase your nervous about disconnecting the wiring to the coil.

The connectors on these bikes are always fragile. A good auto parts store will have a crimp on connector that should fit the hot cable.
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:31 AM

Gentlemen (who still read this):

It is with great regret that I am informing you it has become time to sell my CA160. Apparently I did not have foresight enough to know with one 1.5 year old kid and one due in December that I would have neither the time nor the money (or the garage space) to wrap this up in a decent amount of time. While I would love to hang on to it and fight the good fight, I have hit the point where I need the money and space more than I need the project.

I plan on listing it on Craigslist in Houston, TX for anyone who either lives in the area or knows someone else who does.

I appreciate all the help from the forums, and while I do intend on one day completing (and riding) one of the old Hondas, at this point it's not in the cards.

Let me know if you're interested in something in particular or the bike as a whole.

All the best,

Jason
Unread 10-19-2011, 05:16 PM

Hey! No Regrets Allowed! Congrats on the new baby on the way! Get the bike back together as far as you can and list in Craigslist and maybe ebay. Taking care of family is A#1 proirity. There will always be resto projects in the future. My interest in the small Honda's started in 1965 as a kid. My first Honda 150 resto did not happen til 2006. (yikes! 41yrs later.....)

Keep us posted and hopefully you can move the bike fast.
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Congrats on the family! wow that's a game changer for sure. Yeah kick that project to the side and get on with life! You'll have lots of time in the future to mess around with motorcycle stuff but for now you have some work to do.

A friend of mine down the block from me has a weakness for 4wd projects and I never see him smiling when he's working on his vehicles. But when his young daughter is around or they are going somewhere in the truck I sure see him smiling a whole bunch. Make sure and list the bike for sale here with a link pointing to your Craigslist ad for maximum exposure.

Tags
ca 160, honda ca160