FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-12-2011, 03:27 PM

Default chrome polish

This evening I took brasso and 4/0 steel wool to the left muffler on my bike. What a difference. It took many years of corrosion and dirt off and left me with a servicable pipe. This bike is a 62 and has round pipes. Is this correct? Also is there a coating other than rechroming that will help it stay looking as good as it does now? I think I have a lead on a usable right pipe for it, so its getting closer. Thanks Curt
Unread 05-12-2011, 05:44 PM

The old school secret to happy chrome...Just grab a cheap liter of cola for some reason diet works better the carbonic acid, or phosphoric acid that is an etching agent I suppose is higher in cheap diet cola.

Then grab some aluminum foil, or fine steel wool if you prefer but steel wool will fill in the spots but leave steel residue that rusts aluminum doesn't have that brown oxidation issue, pour a little cola in a little container fold up some foil into a square pad and rub with foil bye bye rust and spots hello new looking chrome.

Then you can use a sealer such as liquid glass or some similar product the liquid glass also seals aluminum. Theres some videos of people cleaning with it I think if you want to see what it does first.
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:54 PM

Talking

JETBLACK ,You have got to be an" OLD SCHOOL DUDE" !!! I don't know of anyone under 60 that knows what water glass is or even where to find it .
Your going to stump a lot of folks with that one . We used to use it to try and seal head gasket leaks , but you had to remove the thermostat or you'd plug it up . Hadn't heard of using it on chrome or aluminum as a coating but it makes sense .
I also used to work for my
dad at his tire store in the 60's and we'd pour coke around the rim and bead of rusty truck and tractor tires, wait about 30 minutes and most of the time we were able to break the beads loose from the rims . What we didn't use on the rim we'd finish drinking . We used to laugh that if Coke was strong enough to disolve rust what was it doing to our insides . Still drink Coke but being a responsible adult I now add rum to soften the effect .

Last edited by kartgreen; 05-12-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: additional B.S.
Unread 05-13-2011, 11:56 PM

Water glass is still out there it goes under the brand name liquid glass. Goto google then shopping then type in liquid glass, you can get it from lots of places. Even a nice packet comes in your beef jerky the little sodium silicate packet that says to not eat :P Its good stuff
Unread 05-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

While we are on the old school topic... remember this stuff? This Nevr-Dull is from 1941!! Oh you know it's bad for you too... says, "CAUTION: Combustible Mixture."

-
Unread 05-14-2011, 08:20 PM

Default Never Dull

I used that on my left pipe after I used the Brasso and steel wool. It left the pipe looking almost like new, Is still available although the graphic on the can have changed.
Curt

Last edited by weestrom05; 05-14-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: addnl thought
Unread 05-14-2011, 08:33 PM

I love that stuff, I had to buy a new can a few weeks ago because my room mate absconded with my other can.

Its my 2nd to last step in polishing aluminum, last step is wipe down with a clean cotton cloth as the never dull pulls all the black impurities etc, from polishing out of the aluminum pores (you can get even crazier and add pure bleached flour or corn starch onto the cotton cloth as a super fine abrasive.

It took me a long time to figure out how to polish to a mirror shine with the least amount of work, time and trouble...if anyone is interested I might share my process.
Unread 05-14-2011, 08:37 PM

Default Polishing aluminum

I think its time for a tutorial.
Curt
Unread 05-15-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackchemist View Post
i love that stuff, i had to buy a new can a few weeks ago because my room mate absconded with my other can.

Its my 2nd to last step in polishing aluminum, last step is wipe down with a clean cotton cloth as the never dull pulls all the black impurities etc, from polishing out of the aluminum pores (you can get even crazier and add pure bleached flour or corn starch onto the cotton cloth as a super fine abrasive.

It took me a long time to figure out how to polish to a mirror shine with the least amount of work, time and trouble...if anyone is interested i might share my process.
please do share your wisdom!!!! Pretty please!