FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 02-04-2012, 04:30 AM

Default honda benley c92.....1959 model

hi,

i, pretty new to this site as i am pretty new to this bike i have just acquired.

i am currently living in sydney and i ve had bikes all my life, but this one is a newy on me....

i am trying to find out what i can about this bike as i m going along, so if anyone out there can help, i would much appreciate, comments, suggestions, questions, advise, etc.

cheers
met
Unread 02-04-2012, 04:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Please post some pictures! Also, the frame and engine serials on that 1959 would be truly interesting.

Does the bike appear to be mostly original, or has it been modified over the decades?
Unread 02-05-2012, 04:15 AM

Default c92

hi and thanks for replying once again....
the bike is as is and as it stands.

i havent done a thing to it so far, except remove the air pump that sits under the seat on the left hand side, which i still have.
as one can see its in need of restoring and i am debating within myself whether i should take this up or not....i have been told these early models a worth a bit, but thats all i know about it.....

cheers
met
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1340aaa.jpg (361.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1347aaa.jpg (463.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1351aaa.jpg (439.2 KB, 28 views)
Unread 02-05-2012, 05:55 AM

Thanks for sharing the pictures. That certainly is an old one. If that's the original seat, I'm amazed at the condition. Looks like the speedometer is still there ... how many miles?

Anything can be made to run again, given sufficient resources. I can't comment on the value of a '59 C92 in Australia. The obvious parts needed are a fuel tank with the chrome panels, badges and a petcock, headlight, ignition switch, drive chain cover, new wheel rims and spokes, new tires, new foot peg rubber, and likely 4 new cables.

The little parts will add up quickly. Engine and hub seals, possibly bearings, gasket kit, new chain & sprocket(s), brake shoes, mirrors, carburetor rebuild kit, fuel lines, clutch friction plates, and anything the engine may need, such as pistons & rings, valves, etc.

If you're serious about a restoration, you'll also likely have the engine rebuilt and the red parts painted, given that the front fender will need painting anyway. Given my experiences, I'd guess $2000-$2500 USD in parts ($1860 - $2330 AUD). These projects are typically done for the passion of the bike, not the resale value afterward.
Unread 02-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Hi Met, welcome,

On the bright side you have a couple of the hardest parts to get. The handlebars assembly and the chain guard! Very lucky to have those. That sucker IS an early model . That is one that needs to be restored correctly by someone who really wants to preserve that model. You don't see those ever. I'm sure it would be worth twice what the later models are worth because it has a lot of the oolllld Honda attributes. The only problem is that the regular later models aren't worth all that much to begin with. But at least yours is worth more!

If I had it... I would do it for sure but not to sell. The front fender is also looking nice. That would be an easier restoration but yes, every single little thing will take your quality time to refinish and every single part you will need will cost money and add up quickly.

I like it.
Unread 02-06-2012, 05:12 AM

Default c92

thanks again folks for your comments.
i have connected with someone who is relatively closeby to me in sydney, australia and who has a few parts and knowhow, that i will need for this bike.
i wish i had both, more experience and the heart to do this properly as you are very right in saying...."it needs to be restored"
and im sure there are better out there in this, than i....
the money side is also a worry as you can appreciate these are long term projects, as they should be, which could easy escalate to so much more than ones budget.
i guess one good thing is by the sound of it is, that once it is finished it will be quite unique....as i didnt realise they were so rare.
i will decide what to do with this bike, possibly next week some time.
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:08 AM

After struggling for a bit trying to research your bike, I did find this information from Bill Silver that appears to confirm that you have a 1959 model. I can't find the actual number range, though. Even the parts fiche seems to omit the C92E-9xxxxx range.

From what I've read, '59 C92s had an all-chrome fuel tank side panel, without the rubber knee pads. Hunting for that aught to keep you busy. Here's a shot of a '59 C92 with the all-chrome panels:

Unread 02-07-2012, 03:26 AM

Default c92

yeah thanks.....that tank when and if it comes my way, will have to be all chrome, as you are correct in saying that the 59 didnt have all rubber mods and cons....im hopefull
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:04 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Oh boy! That's going to be something to look for alright. If I come across such a thing I'll surely let you know. That's a cool looking motorcycle. It's like a Benly but custom with the short handlebars and chrome tank.
Unread 02-07-2012, 05:33 PM

Default c92

yeah thanks smithers.

the bike is actually a honda benley.
it has a black half round tag as shown on new photo posted,
which denotes it as so......

from my research i have been told its a 1959, c92.

they tell me the early models such as this one, had a bare chrome finished tank as picture provided by club member. thank you "by the lake".

the later ones apparently had the rubber side grips to the tank.

this one also came with an air pump that sits on a two piece lock stand under the seat to the left hand side.

this wasnt present in ther later models.....im told.

cheers
met
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image001.jpg (361.5 KB, 18 views)
Unread 02-07-2012, 06:31 PM

Handlebar reminds me of my Super Cub's handlebar. Love that Benly badge in the center.

Is the switch gear missing on each side? I'm assuming that the switches would have been in the gaps next to the hand grips.

Should be an interesting project for sure.
Unread 02-08-2012, 02:40 AM

Default c92

yeah both switchgear's are missing....and just another two items on the impossible to find list.

they are also another two reasons against the undertaking of this project....

and yes they do fill in the gaps next to the handles....

thanks
met
Unread 02-08-2012, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by met View Post
yeah both switchgear's are missing....and just another two items on the impossible to find list.

they are also another two reasons against the undertaking of this project....
The parts are available, but at a price. Here's an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Early-...ht_6205wt_1037

If you do some hunting you may find them for less. There are individual left and right switches available for less.
Unread 02-09-2012, 11:50 PM

i think i might have managed a breakthrough to all this.

looks like this parts saga is about to become a little easier as
a little luck has come my way and i have managed to find a chap here in sydney
who happens to restore these.....he also has a lot of the main parts im
looking for, such as the correct tank, engine header and muffler and left and right switch blocks.
i will know for sure next week how it will all pan out but it looks promising.

this means that i will hold on to it and undertake this project in the end....

hopefully together with all your guidance......it will be all enjoyable and i might learn something.

trully gratefull....

cheers
met
Unread 02-10-2012, 12:25 AM

Wow, that is big news! I truly hope that this works out for you. I'd love to see that little 125 be reborn.