FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-14-2012, 01:23 PM

Default Part Identification Help, Again...

Well, I've done it again. I have a piece that looks strangely unfamiliar to me. This time, I want everyone to know, I did check my parts list before posting this, but I couldn't find it.
Thanks again for your help. Oh Yes, I am seeing progress in getting my bike running. I set her on fire today with a nice backfire. I had my extinguisher ready though.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honda UFO.jpg (90.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Honda UFO 2.jpg (98.8 KB, 25 views)
Unread 08-14-2012, 01:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Hmm ... I don't return home until Friday evening, so I can't compare your part to parts on my bike, but until then, could it be the part circled below? Did you have your front suspension apart?

Last edited by ByTheLake; 08-14-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Unread 08-14-2012, 02:03 PM

Thanks ByTheLake:
I havent had the front end apart but I took the seat and fuel tank off to install the wire harness that Spokes gave me right before this little piece showed up. I probably should work shorter shifts on this bike and I wouldn't have these brain fades.
Thanks Again
Steve
Unread 08-14-2012, 02:08 PM

Could it be the tank grommet...?
Unread 08-14-2012, 02:34 PM

I'm not sure it's a part for your bike. The backfire comes from two possible problems.

1. The valve lash is set wrong.

If the gap between the valve and the rocker assembly is incorrect(needs to be .003") the bike will shotgun backfire. Set the valves lash by: Right hand intake valve set. Rotate motor 1/4 turn of the flywheel and set left hand exhaust, 1/4 turn of the flywheel, set right hand exhaust valve, 1/4 turn of the flywheel and set left hand intake valve. Following this sequence should reveal each rocker being close to the valve stem.

2. The points lobe is set 180 degrees off.

I will share a little known fact. The lobe that the points ride on sets in the timing advance mechanism. This lobe, when turned while the advance mechanism is held secure can be removed. It also can be reinstalled 180 degrees off, making the bike impossible to run. Check the position of the lobe, twist and remove. Reinstall 180 degrees and try to start the bike.
Unread 08-14-2012, 02:43 PM

Thanks John:
I went down to the shop and checked, all the tank gromets are there. I did a little experimenting and it does fit perfectly on the big muffler bolt. Tanks for the help.
Steve
Unread 08-14-2012, 02:59 PM

Default Awesome Spokes

It's got to be the points lobe. I had the flywheel off today and when I pulled that assembly off the end of the crank the lobe slipped off. I just spread the little spring loaded weights and slipped it back on. I figured it was keyed to go on one way only. You've saved my bacon again.
That little piece probably is off of something else.. I do have a few other projects scattered around the place.
Thanks Again
Steve
Unread 08-14-2012, 11:36 PM

Default She Runs!

Thank You ByTheLake, Puzzleparadise, and Spokes
For your help today. Spokes, you nailed it. My points lobe was 180 off. After I got it back together it started right up and ran great! I am grateful for the tutoring you guys have given me over the past couple months. The other day ByTheLake told me exactly how to go about tracking down my no spark problem. I learned how the electrical system works and I got some good practice in with my test light and continuity tester. Now I am going to go through the rest of the electrical and get it working.
And Spokes:
Today, I thought I was going to have to redo the timing again. I had just spent a good part of yesterday doing that because I was one tooth off, I had the cam running one tooth early. I sure am glad I mentioned the fire today and I sure am glad that you told me about the points lobe!
Since I seemed to be having so much trouble getting the crank and cam in sync, I checked my cam timing today before I got the engine all back together. Once I got the cam chain reinstalled I went ahead and put the dynamo (alternator?) housing back on the engine. Then I put the flywheel on so I could bring the flywheel T mark around to the screw that the pointer is mounted on. Then I checked the cam position. It only took me a few minutes to check my work that way and possibly having to redo the timing again.
Thanks Again!
Steve
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:56 AM

I am always glad to help.
Unread 08-15-2012, 03:06 PM

I do hope to God its not what it kinda looks like, did you have the rocker spindles out of the head...please tell me you didn't.

Sam.
Unread 08-15-2012, 09:55 PM

Default Parts Identification solved, probably.

Thanks Sam:
You jogged my memory with that question. Fortunately I did not have the head apart. I figured I was in deep enough just swapping in that CB92 crank. Where I think that piece came from is about two weeks ago I bought a CB160 engine on craigslist and I got a bucket of little misc engine parts in the deal and I was using some of the hardware out of that bucket in assembling my engine. I just tossed it back in that bucket and it fits right in. Thanks. Now I can quit worrying about what I left off. I spent today messing with a noisy exhaust leak where the header pipe meets the head. Those gaskets that came with the gasket set just don't seem up to the task. Trying to think back about forty years. I don't remember much of any leaking and don't even remember using these crummy little gaskets?
Steve
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverinomeiste View Post
Trying to think back about forty years. I don't remember much of any leaking and don't even remember using these crummy little gaskets?
The original exhaust gaskets tend to get crushed flat and hide pretty well, covered with carbon and looking like part of the head. Is there a chance the original gaskets are still in the head? That would not leave sufficient room for new gaskets. Just a thought.
Unread 08-16-2012, 08:18 AM

The origional and after market one that look the same are crap, I've thought about going with copper crush type gaskets for some time.
I have an address for a company and will chase them up tomorrow when I have measured them.
Would anyone be intrested if I can get a price for a bulk buy?

Sam.