FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 06-07-2012, 05:52 AM

Default Solo seat..or not!

I finally completed my solo seat transformation and thought I should share..

My main concern when doing the conversion was easily changing back to the original style seat and with a little tweaking, and a few bolts of course I can now swap it in for when I want to go back to two up riding, (hoping to use this bike to teach my boys to ride)..in case anyone is wondering, the switch can be done without removing the gas tank as the solo seat bracket tucks under the full seat..

Unread 06-07-2012, 09:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Looks really nice. For a long time I've debated the solo vs dual saddle with my project, but figured that since the Benly is so small I'd be cramped on the solo seat, with no room to stretch.

How comfortable is the seating position with the solo seat? It certainly looks great.
Unread 06-07-2012, 11:39 AM

I quickly fell in love with solo seat, I found it much more comfortable than the stock seat..here's a pic with my son on it...I might look for a pillion seat to mount to the rack for two up riding when the need arises! (Of course it'd be awesome to find a set of saddlebags, like you have...

Unread 06-07-2012, 12:16 PM

Thumbs up

I like it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where did you find the headlight visor ?
Unread 06-07-2012, 01:18 PM

Thanks..

I was actually looking for the 'Wing' fender emblem when I noticed the visor with emblem on eBay, so I used chrome tent snaps to plug the holes on both the visor and the fender mudflat area...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-BENLY-...ee9adc&vxp=mtr
Unread 06-08-2012, 03:50 AM

Well done Puzzle. I am having the same dilemma but for different reasons. I like the way that saddle meets up with the tank. Like others tho the seating position is pretty far forward. Looks great!
Unread 06-08-2012, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzfromarz View Post
Like others tho the seating position is pretty far forward.
Modifying the seat bracket rearward wouldn't be much of an issue, any welding shop could do it..I can definitely see that being an issue for taller riders, I'm 5'7" so it fits great the way it is.
Unread 06-08-2012, 06:28 PM

Thanks for that great shot of your son. Wow did that bring back memories. I was about his age in 1965 when I bought a CA95 from a guy who was drafted into the military. My father flipped out as he was still pissed at WWII and the japanese and made me sell it. That was the beginning of my lost love for the little Honda.

The solo seat is cool and the full seat looks nice as well.

But I gotta tell ya about the visor. I bought one for a CA95 I finished in 09. Yea it looked cool....But I was riding one day in full Kentucky sun and got sun reflection off of the visor that..how shall I say...blinded me for a second. So off it came...

Otherwise congrats on a very nice bike and pic.
Unread 06-09-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Thanks for that great shot of your son. Wow did that bring back memories. I was about his age in 1965 when I bought a CA95 from a guy who was drafted into the military. My father flipped out as he was still pissed at WWII and the japanese and made me sell it. That was the beginning of my lost love for the little Honda.
Wow...that's quite the memory, I've often wondered how both our countries adjusted in the post war setting...when my father in law was still around (former tank brigade member in WW2 RIP) he would occasionally offer tidbits of info on his tour in England. It still amazes me how soon after the war that Honda's started showing up on our shores, certainly different times than what we live in now..
Unread 06-15-2012, 11:16 AM

Just an update...I picked up a used Honda pillion seat from a vtx1300 and mounted it to the luggage rack for two up riding..this will only be on a temporary basis but it did turn out quite well!

Unread 06-16-2012, 02:23 AM

I think it's a beautiful solo, it's the only one I think that fits the lines of the bike; someone pm'ed me about one just like it, a month or two ago and asked where they might could find one...I told them the model and wished them luck; care to share where you found it?
Unread 06-16-2012, 01:43 PM

I actually stumbled upon one being offered on eBay but it was a tan colour, so I messaged the seller and asked if he could make one in black leather, lo and behold a couple of weeks later this beauty showed up! Keep in mind that I modified the original bracket by removing the rubber (spring portion) and added 3" chrome springs with a custom bracket to finish the transformation..
Also I should add that it was pricey, but the craftmanship is top notch!
The seller is in Thailand and his email is Sariddet.Catgmaildotcom you obviously have to sub the at and dot if you want to email him..
Unread 07-25-2012, 02:39 PM

I thought I'd post a couple of you tube videos of my boys first riding lessons..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk7o1...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a9t6...e_gdata_player