FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-01-2012, 07:58 AM

Default New Member here.

Hello all,

I got this little bike 20 some years ago from a guy I was helping move. He didn't have any room left on the truck so I bought it from him. Told me it ran great. He had drained the gas and took out the battery. I never started it. Just parked it in the barn and forgot about it. Nothing like your own barn find It's my new project. Should be fun. I have found out it's a 1963 Benly 150.
I've restored car's, Trucks and tractors. This should be a bit different. I'll post pictures as I go. Look forward to interacting with you all!

1.This is where it sat for the last 20 years.
2.Washed up really good. No rust.
3. Made in Japan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Finding it..JPG (266.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Cleaned up.JPG (351.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Japan.JPG (242.6 KB, 28 views)
Unread 08-01-2012, 10:19 AM

Very nice!

I've never seen one of those fender (apron?) before...
Unread 08-01-2012, 12:03 PM

You really have a great start there...can't believe your own barn find in your own barn!
Do you have the keys?
What size front tire is that?
What is that silver gizmo just above the tool tray?
Before starting it, follow the excellent suggestions provided on this forum...very important These guys really know their Honda Dreams.....lots of great people here.
Unread 08-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzleparadise View Post
Very nice!

I've never seen one of those fender (apron?) before...
Thanks Puzzleparadise
I think that part on the fender is after market. I think it was the Honda wing. The wing part broke off. I’ll fab a new one and keep it on the bike. It’s been there so long its part of the bike now.
Unread 08-01-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
You really have a great start there...can't believe your own barn find in your own barn!
Do you have the keys?
What size front tire is that?
What is that silver gizmo just above the tool tray?
Before starting it, follow the excellent suggestions provided on this forum...very important These guys really know their Honda Dreams.....lots of great people here.
Thanks 1911tex,
Yes I have the keys now. When I brought it up from the barn my wife came out to see what I was doing. As I was getting it out of the truck I told her to go get the keys. You know. The ones I gave you when I brought it home. I told you not to loose them. ( that didn’t go over so well :- ) Lucky for me I remembered at about 2:00 am where I put them. Sat right up in bed and said oh ya.
Front tire 3.25/3.5-16 looks big. Back ones a Bridgestone 3.25 -16

I think it’s a flasher that went with a set of blinkers that are no longer on the bike.
I’ve been reading all the old post and will follow the advice. Great site!
Unread 08-01-2012, 02:23 PM

Nice looking bike to start with. This forum and the selfless people here will help you get that thing on the road soon. If you haven't found the link for the three manuals on this pup, Spokes, Kartgreen or Smithers have a post somewhere, or PM me and I'll forward a set. Good luck!
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik S View Post
Nice looking bike to start with. This forum and the selfless people here will help you get that thing on the road soon. If you haven't found the link for the three manuals on this pup, Spokes, Kartgreen or Smithers have a post somewhere, or PM me and I'll forward a set. Good luck!
Thanks Eric,
I found the manuals. I've struck gold!
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:56 PM

This forum is a goldmine and you don't even have to dig because so many are willing to help. Welcome!
Unread 08-01-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckets81 View Post
This forum is a goldmine and you don't even have to dig because so many are willing to help. Welcome!
Thank you Buckets81
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:30 PM

Done.

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 11-09-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Good to have you aboard Ranchman. That is one NICE bike you have. That exhuast looks great from the one side we can see so far. You should have a fun time restoring that one. The pieces don't look abused, dented or rusted out so you have it pretty good there! I like the look of the meaty off road style front tire.
Unread 08-02-2012, 01:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Welcome aboard, and nice motorbike. No need to fabricate the missing front wing emblem for the fender guard - they're available on eBay fairly cheap.

These bikes are pretty simple little machines compared to the vehicles you've restored in the past.

Looking forward to seeing the bike on magazine covers, or better yet, getting some use on the back roads again.
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:04 AM

Thank you,
Jetblackchemist, Smithers and Bythelake.

I'm starting by tearing everything down for inspection. I really like the design of the bike for it's age.
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:12 AM

Kinda funny isn't it , you bought the bike from your friend on a whim ,stuck it in the barn and 20 years later you looked at it and thought ,cool little bike .
After 20 years in the barn I'm sure your going to find several mouse nests in the frame ( sure you know that already ) . Check over the wiring ,mice like wiring ,why I don't know .
Looks like a great project , also like your Ford tractor , I've got a 1944 N2 . Doesn't get out much any more .
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:49 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartgreen View Post
Kinda funny isn't it , you bought the bike from your friend on a whim ,stuck it in the barn and 20 years later you looked at it and thought ,cool little bike .
After 20 years in the barn I'm sure your going to find several mouse nests in the frame ( sure you know that already ) . Check over the wiring ,mice like wiring ,why I don't know .
Looks like a great project , also like your Ford tractor , I've got a 1944 N2 . Doesn't get out much any more .
Thanks kartgreen,

Funny you noticed the tractor. And funnier yet it's also a 2N. not many people know what the 2ns were about. I have two of them. The one you see in the pic has the suicide shift lever on the side. I tried it once. Heck of a ride :-0 I'm into the bike now. So far it looks clean almost too clean. I do have a lot of barn cats and the bike was never covered.