FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-27-2010, 11:51 AM

Default CA95 Air filter. Is this a item made to be replaced?

I have a CA95 that I am in the middle of putting back together after replacing all the seals, rebuilding the starter, replacing the starter chain, the list is a mile long. I am wondering if I need to buy an air filter I found on eBay? Is this item designed to be replaced? Or is there a way to clean it?
Unread 05-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Hi PD. I would just go grab a universal foam air filter from your local bike shop. You CAN buy a replacement pleated regular air filter but if I was going to ride it I would put a UNI type foam filter on it. They work much better and just about every motorcycle dealership stocks a display of universal foam filters. I have the original filter in my 160. They are pretty big and would have to be super dirty to restrict the air flow enough to hold your engine back. I road my CA95 around without an air filter for a while. Just riding around on the street won't put a whole lot of dirt in your engine considering the location of the air intake points inside the frame.
Unread 05-27-2010, 01:21 PM

Thanks Smithers- I will cancel my order with the guy on eBay. It was going to cost me $60 with shipping. And the actual filter doesn't look much different than mine. If you still think I should spend $60 on it let me know.

Cheers,
AP
Unread 05-28-2010, 07:06 PM

I agree - I ordered a 1.75" UNI with the rubber boot for around $12 and it clamps right on to the extension piece that attaches to the carb (original rubber tube clamps to this). I think the foam UNIs without a rubber boot are a little cheaper but I have not used them to say how well they hold up.

http://www.unifilter.com/online%20ca...universal.html

U402 is the foam and UP4182 is the pod.

Also, if you have the original filter I have seen people tear off the paper leaving the screen underneath and wrap it with foam filter element and seal the sides. That's another option as well if you want to keep the original filter frame.
Unread 05-30-2010, 11:20 AM

i have an extra new uni filter, i bought a two pack and only used one of them. there is a photo in my post on this thread: http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showth...ghlight=filter

send me a message if you are interested, i could send it out for cheap. -t