FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Aprilia Mille RSVR - 1st Generation

Unread 04-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

So seeing how there is a lack of instructions on the net to show how to change the oil in a Rotax V60 powered Aprilia Mille motorcycle I'm going to have to do it. I have taken more than enough shots of the process and it was a pain in the ass seeing how I did it for the first time nearly a month ago. Once you do something once you always do it twice as fast the second time around. The problem is that the first time changing your Aprilia RSVR oil will take you forever. What a hassle! Of course I thought I was being cautious by filling it up to the "low" level indicator but once I actually rode it I found that it had risen way up past the "full" indicator. The problem is that I thought the engine was warm by letting it run for a few minutes parked in my garage watching the temperature gauge. But no... once I took it for a 8 miles drive and back I found that it was over full.

Oh well lesson learned. I'll be posting the whole process here over the next day so that people can see exactly what's involved and what tools are needed for the process.

Until then....
Keep it upright.
Unread 12-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

For people interested in what not to do check out the ApriliaForum.com thread on what could happen if you overfill the oil. It's EASY TO DO so read some direction on the forum on how to warm up the bike properly, how much to actually add instead of just filling until you think it's high enough, and how to level the bike and judge when the oil is high enough.

READ THIS THREAD
about how to change the oil and what to look out for. It's a lot more involved than you think and I would never take my Aprilia to any dealer for an oil change(besides maybe 3 Aprilia dealerships here in the U.S.). I couldn't see most dealer monkey being able to properly fill the oil in the Dry-sump system.

The best thread I've seen for changing the oil of your Aprilia Mille. Take your time and make sure you have a few tools ready for your oil change. I recommend getting an Allen socket set for a ratchet. This makes it a lot easier to do the final tightening and loosening of your Allan bolts... and they are all over these Aprilias - MUCH better then Phillips screws thank goodness.