FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 12-02-2010, 06:11 PM

No apology needed! I knew that the motor had a chance of being bad and the price was right. I learn a great deal when I tear into an engine. It seems to tell me where it's been.......

I will take the 65 motor when your feeling better. No rush as the cold may put a stop to my progress. Call or PM to arrange P/U
Unread 01-06-2011, 08:37 PM

Time Stamp 1-6-10
I am looking forward to Saturday 1-8-10. Forum member mundtquist has come thru with a couple of motors some wheels and misc parts. One motor goes to this project, the other motor goes on yet another project frame!

The yet to be started next project will be a fun off the wall little CA95 race bike. But that's a thread to be started later in the year.

By May all of the parts needed will be ready to assemble and finish the "build from scratch CA95" and by May I hope it warms up....Sat. the weather prediction say's dry and a high of... 8 and a low of -5........... brrrrrrrrrrr
Unread 01-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Awesome.. more projects! Glad you sourced a stockpile of parts from one place. That saves a lot of time hunting around. I could spend days looking around at people's old Honda race bikes they have created. It's fun to see custom pieces that people engineer. Yeah we're all waiting for the weather to warm up a little that's for sure. Of course I cheated and located a propane heater for my garage and I feel so spoiled! The propane BBQ tanks actually last a really long time.

Unread 01-09-2011, 11:23 AM

Time Stamp 1-9-11
I should have the engine torn down today. Interesting thing about this engine is that it looks like someone rebuilt it..kind of. The inside of the motor was dry and for the most part clean. The valves and cylinder head is carbon free. But most of the screws were buggered or wrong and all of them were loose or lightly tightened. I am very pleased to have this motor to save. I am looking for a used cylinder as the one on this engine has broken mounting tabs. If no cylinder can be found by April I will swap the 1962 CA95 engine cylinder out and install it on the 1965.
Unread 01-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

That's good news. Usually everything is frozen up. On the other hand cylinders are not so easy to find in good shape.
Unread 01-12-2011, 09:11 PM

Time Stamp 1-12-11

I decided to tear down the 1962 CA95 motor anyway. Unlike the clean inside of the 65 motor, this one has been idle for a very long time. The engine is salvagable for sure. I am cleaning 1/4" thick oil paste from the bottom of the crankcase and sorting parts to be cleaned. The reason this motor stopped working was due to a bent piston ring. I am still looking for a cylinder, but I have lots of time to find it. I will rebuild both engines by spring and keep the 62 for the 3rd bike build or as an extra.
Unread 01-15-2011, 07:05 PM

Time Stamp 1-15-2011

The build from scratch project will have a mix and match engine. From the 3 motors obtained, two will be built from salvaged parts. The 62 had a broken uppercase and rusted to damage shifter drum. One of the gear clusters was frozen and had a bad retaining clip. The 65 had a busted cylinder base. Since all 3 engines were bad for different reasons, the combined salvagable parts plus some parts from eBay will build two very nice engines. Right now with the temp being around zero, cleaning parts is all that can be done.

I have finished rebuilding controls and have built the first handlebar assembly.
Unread 01-16-2011, 07:30 PM

Time Stamp 1-16-11
Here is a shot of the bare case engines. These cases are made of the best parts from my engine purchase and a lower case from a motor from a previous build. I may use the 62 cylinder head with the tach drive on a case with a 1964 serial number.
Unread 02-02-2011, 05:09 PM

Time Stamp 2-2-2011

The best of the best parts are assembled and the engine case is now closed.

I am waiting on a oil seal kit. I found what looked like a rusty old cylinder on eBay that when cleaned, turned out to be nice. I salvaged a pair of nice 1.0 over pistons that polished up nice. The cylinder will be bored to fit the pistons.

A friend here in MN gave me a new CA95 front fender. New old stock, never used.

So the CA160 project bike fender will be repaired to match the new fender and installed on this project. The new fender goes on the "project 1966 ca160" build.

Last edited by Spokes; 02-02-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: add pic
Unread 02-03-2011, 06:32 AM

OMG! They're not polished!

Just kidding ya! I know who I'll be calling when I'm ready to get my CA95 rebuilt. :-)
Unread 02-03-2011, 11:12 AM

Good one!

No, I paint the motor's. It's easier to keep them nice that way...BUT I will be polishing some parts.

What you don't see is that I polished all of the shaft contacts that ride against the new seals.

No problem..keep me in mind..
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:43 AM

Default I have frames!

Hi Spokes,

I have a couple of decent frames in St Paul.
One is the black bike your engine came out of and the other is black and in storage.

Steve
Unread 02-13-2011, 08:24 PM

Thanks and I will keep those frames in mind should I decide to build more CA95's. I have an extra frame in waiting for next winter.

Time Stamp
2-13-2011

I have ordered new wheel bearings for this project and the CA160. I am waiting on parts for the engine. So far the only thing I need to get is the lower chain guard, the inner chain guard (aluminum part by the sprocket) and the carb cover.

I hope to start assembly by May and finish the bike around July.
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:21 AM

Time Stamp 3-27-2011

In a few weeks I can start to lay out my parts for pics and finish. Still to cold to paint. So far I have only a cylinder to hone to complete the engine for this project. The engine has been put together with motor parts from 3 others. A second engine awaits my third build for next winter. I have modified a set of handlebars and installed polished controls and perches. The throttle will be external until I come across a good set of original set of handlebars with an internal throttle. My new bearings are in and they will be installed my CA95 hubs along with my CA160 wheels. I may get another rear wheel as the one I have has is bent. I have some extra rims but the chrome is bad. I may have the rims powder coated or paint them to match and just polish the hubs and re lace and true the rims. Still looking for a lower chain guard.
Unread 04-08-2011, 08:42 AM

I might just have an extra NOS lower chain guard. I just bought a lot of primered guards off feebay. I'll let you know when they show up and I get a chance to fit it.