FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 02-20-2012, 02:13 AM

that is so :c ool: chip.

Sam.
Unread 02-20-2012, 02:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
... Then it will be donated and auctioned to support the fight against Breast Cancer. A friend of mine's wife works for the American Cancer Society and they are making arraingements to pick up the bike when done.
Spokes, that's a wonderfully generous thing to do. I'm looking forward to your video and seeing how the bike turns out.
Unread 02-25-2012, 07:01 PM

Time Stamp 2-25-2012

Clutch cable custom cut and installed. Controls built and mounted. Chain guard installed. This week the ignition switch will be installed and the battery hooked up. If no wiring issues, the tank and carb will be mounted. My bike building judgement day will be soon when the bike is fueled up, battery mounted and starting button pushed.
Unread 02-26-2012, 02:59 AM

Looking really nice. Outstanding work. Please post more pics and updates as you finish. That bike will make some owner proud when its auctioned.
Unread 02-29-2012, 07:37 PM

Time Stamp 2-29-2012

Exhaust installed. Ignition switch in. Battery installed. The key was turned on today for the first time. The pic below shows the LED tail light illuminated.

The brake light works and there is power to green lead wire that will be connected to the points & condenser. All that is left to do is to install the points/condenser plate & components, the pre rebuilt carb and fuel tank.

Bike builders judgement day soon......video to witness the first start.

Last edited by Spokes; 02-29-2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: sp
Unread 02-29-2012, 08:50 PM

Hi Spokes,
I have a question regarding the chrome trim on the fenders. Were they available from Honda when new? I haven't noticed them before ...

Jim
Unread 03-01-2012, 04:30 AM

Ah my forum friends, you gotta know that I think out of the box. The chrome trim....is actually....chrome door edging from the auto parts store. An old trick. The plastic trim forms well around most any corners. I do the fenders and the side covers as well.
Below is a pic from a previous build as an example.

Last edited by Spokes; 03-01-2012 at 04:32 AM. Reason: add pic
Unread 03-01-2012, 07:08 AM

Spokes, I was wondering if that adhesive chrome molding would be flexible enough for curving around fenders, etc. Thanks for sharing. It looks good, I'll likely steal this for my restoration.
Unread 03-01-2012, 09:17 AM

I was suspecting it might be auto trim. In any event it looks good - gives the bike a more finished look. Especially the side covers.

Jim
Unread 03-01-2012, 01:55 PM

... oh, and one more thing, Spokes. You've messed up my entire restoration plans with those pictures, especially that last one. I was planning on going with "original-same-ol'-boring-black" on my bike, but the color on your bike is gorgeous. I'm doing 2 concurrent '65 restorations (CA95 and CA102 Super Cub), so maybe I'll consider a non-original color for them, since the bikes are for my own use anyway.
Unread 03-01-2012, 02:48 PM

Yeah I hear ya. The color is a simple 2 part acrylic enamel, Candy Apple Metallic Red with a grey base primer. You can make the candy colors jump out with a silver, gold or white base. I used the grey base as I wanted a slightly darker red.

Having said that, I am going the other way with the next build, which is again another 66 CA160. But this time it will be Artic White, maybe metallic or pearl. It will sport matching Buco saddlebags. I have the complete set of Buco saddlebags staged and ready to paint. The custom visored lights are being built (3 sets just to ebay the other sets)

Maybe custom handlebars.....
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post

The bike looks like it may actually be finished soon. 3 years in the making. I will do a youtube video of the complete bike and the story behind it.. Then it will be donated and auctioned to support the fight against Breast Cancer. A friend of mine's wife works for the American Cancer Society and they are making arraingements to pick up the bike when done.
Chip, please send me your Paypal address again, I would like to contribute a little to your friends wifes charity, it's a wonderfull thing you are doing.
On the other hand, I could give it to you personally at Valdosta. just weeks away

Sam.
Unread 03-02-2012, 04:30 PM

Thanks Sam. It's the American Cancer Society. A giant force funding cancer research. You can donate directly or hold off for a bit until I get the bike to where it needs to be. I will title the bike and put a hundred miles on it to make sure it is perfect to ride before it goes.

I am planning to visit Valdosta when your there. We will hook up. I look forward to meeting you in person.
Unread 03-03-2012, 06:14 PM

Time Stamp 3-3-12

Finally found all of the correct parts to rebuild a sound petcock. The pic below is a ca95 frame test stand in my out building shop. My out building is where the smelly greasy work takes place. It looks like the tank/petcock holds gas. I will leave it overnight to make sure there is no leaks. Tomorrow I will temp mount the carb and make sure it does not leak. if no leaks are found then on the bike they go.
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:31 AM

Newbie here so excuse the ignorance, what tool do you use to bend the trim and mold it correctly?