FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-22-2012, 09:47 PM

Default Frame Numbers

Hi, everyone!

It's great to be a new member on this site. I am a member on a number of other forums, such as for airhead BMW's and Norton's, but this is my first for Honda's.

I own two '65 150 Benly's; one is a driver and one is need of restoration. In fact, I don't have the title for the one needing restoration. In order to obtain one, I need both the frame and engine numbers on the form. The engine number is easy to find, but for the life of me, I cannot locate the frame number. It doesn't appear to be on the neck as it is for most other '70's vintage Honda's.

A simple question, I hope there is a simple answer. This is driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance to all who respond...!

Tom
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:25 PM

OK, not real bright of me.....I realized after I sent the question above that I could "Search" the site for the answer. And there I found it... And true enough, the frame number was barely visable. But I did get it. Next question......

Since the numbers are punched in so shallow, has anyone improved the visability of these with any success? And will be sufficient for the DMV? I will need to have the frame blasted and painted. The numbers will disappear if I leave them as is.

Thanks again.
Tom
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Glad to have ya here Mr. T.

If you can make them out then you'll be ok at the DMV probably... can't tell because I can't see em in person of course. They are shallow from the factory so any new paint will probably cover them up. The CA DMV will usually refer you to the Highway Patrol who will issue you a new tag that is riveted to the bike I believe. I've seen bikes with the new stamped tags and it's not pretty. You could find someone with a number/letter stamping kit and borrow it or have them do it for you. Then go ahead and paint the frame. I doubt you would ever have any problems or get any flack for it in the future. Just take pictures of the before and after for your records I would suggest.

A friend of mine has a hot rod at a shop and this week the guy stamped numbers in the stock location on the frame. They have the old paperwork for the vehicle so they'll just go to the DMV and it will be processed just fine. I would never get a new VIN tag for anything unless it was stolen and ground off by the thief. That's the main reason for the new riveted tags.

I personally took a Benly to the DMV for a new title and the woman who helped me out couldn't see well. She sent me to the Highway Patrol to have them verify it. I just made sure it was really clean and he looked at it and wrote down what he thought the numbers/letters were and signed my paperwork. That's all it took for me.