FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 09-28-2007, 10:48 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default CA95 Honda Oil Filter Assembly - Rotor Type

This was an interesting piece that I discovered while taking apart the engine. I can't remember seeing one of these out of an engine although I always knew they were in there. This is an oil filter rotor that used centrifugal force to spin the oil through the assembly and continue circulating it. Here is a shot of it on my vice after I used the impact to break all the screws loose. They took more effort than I imagined.

I read a story in which a person thought that his engine might have siezed because of this assembly being clogged up. There is no screen inside of this and I figure that it's purpose is just to move more oil through the engine in addition to the pump which has the screen to filter large sediments from the bottom beneath the clutch. I wouldn't recommend taking this piece apart. I can't imaging anything being stuck inside of it and it's a really simple contraption. Just to emphasize I must repeat that it took some really big hits to loosen the screws that hold this together. There is a pretty big danger of damaging the unit as the vice needed to be tightened a good amount to hold it.

Unread 02-23-2014, 05:39 AM

Hi Ryan,
Thanks for your message. I ended up NOT pulling the rotor filter and just ran new oil and drained it as soon as the engine heated-up. I in ten to change my oil every 200 - 300 miles so there shouldn't be a problem.
I'm hoping you have some experience with this: I soaked my carburetor and petcock in Berryman Dip-It cleaner and, while it removed all traces of fuel deposits, it left a "calcium-like" deposit. Do you have any idea of what's happening and how to remove it other than a wire brush/wheel?
Unread 02-23-2014, 05:47 AM

Try soaking the clean carb/petcock parts in hot vinegar. Microwave the vinegar until hot and pour over the parts submerging them.

The hot mild acid of the vinegar should remove the calcium build up.
Unread 02-23-2014, 06:27 PM

Ryan, I have seen these thing blocked so that there is barley an opening for the oil to pass through.
It really is a pain getting the cover off of them but it is a must do.

Sam.