FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-08-2010, 10:17 AM

5-8-10

Well the frame will be sandblasted next week. All of the parts with the exception of a missing lower chain guard have been sourced.

Being that the CA95 will be custom. I might modify the upper chain guard as it is damaged. It may be custom cut to look like a one piece guard.

I intend to build a saddle type seat or a springer. Still thinking about it.

Along with the CA160 both bikes will be painted identical.

Acrylic Enamel with a hardner package.

Metallic Candy Apple Red.

The CA95 tank will be modified again. I will install a 22mm fuel petcock bung and have it welded in. Then the new chopper bobber type chrome petcock will be purchased. $25.00 delivered.

As the parts are painted I will be posting pic's
Unread 05-13-2010, 06:40 PM

5-13-10

An extra battery cover was painted today as a sample. The pic below is the color for both this build and the CA160.
(picture here)

Last edited by Smithers; 11-09-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Unread 05-15-2010, 12:38 PM

Default I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
5-13-10

An extra battery cover was painted today as a sample. The pic below is the color for both this build and the CA160.
(picture here)
me likey. I've found a 62 near me but havn't pulled the trigger due to title concerns. what are you going to do for a title?

Last edited by Smithers; 11-09-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Unread 05-15-2010, 01:50 PM

Here in Kentucky, all I need to do is take the serial number of the frame and the engine number to the DMV. They will run a search. If clear, they issue me a title. To register for plates the bike has to be road worthy. It gets inspected by the Sheriff Dept. and they again match the title to the bike. Once the Sheriff Dept. signs off the inspection, you buy insurance and bring all documents to the DMV. Pay $ and a plate and registration will be granted.

Be aware that all states may not abide by the same rules. I would call the DMV of your state and present your case.

Good Luck!
Unread 05-16-2010, 11:47 AM

Just an update and a delay.
Due to being unemployed for nearly a year I have decided to put this project on hold. I plan to liquidate some parts and use the funds to finish the CA160. Once things get better, I will continue with the build and re-source the parts spent on the 160.

As of this date 5-16-10 I will discontinue updates for the near trm.
Unread 05-18-2010, 07:50 PM

Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Here in Kentucky, all I need to do is take the serial number of the frame and the engine number to the DMV. They will run a search. If clear, they issue me a title. To register for plates the bike has to be road worthy. It gets inspected by the Sheriff Dept. and they again match the title to the bike. Once the Sheriff Dept. signs off the inspection, you buy insurance and bring all documents to the DMV. Pay $ and a plate and registration will be granted.

Be aware that all states may not abide by the same rules. I would call the DMV of your state and present your case.

Good Luck!
you sir are very lucky. Here in Texas it is nearly impossible. it takes a title, copy of owner (on the title) driver's license, to make it happen. If not, then a bonded title can be purchased but it takes bonded title insurance, and several stacks of paperwork.
Unread 08-22-2010, 06:00 PM

Time Stamp 8-22-10

Well, since I am still waiting for the Harley Hummer project bike (maybe the guy backed down) I have decided to restart the Building a Honda CA95 from Scratch-Where is the Bike Now Project.

The time frame should be 6 -8 months. I have started to build inventory again. There may not be any pics for a while until I get the bike back on her wheels. As I go along, I will be writing about the refurbishing of old parts using chemistry, polishing, sandblasting and painting. Also there may be another custom springer seat build and a straight exaust system.

Since this bike will be built from parts sourced it will have "Remanufactured" Title when finished.

Currently looking for a CA95 engine 1964-1966 in any condition.
Unread 08-24-2010, 07:19 PM

Time Stamp 8-24-10

I got enought parts in to do a mock assembly of the CA95. Since this is a bike that will be assembled from parts around the country and not assembled as such from the factory, I will have a little creative fun putting it together.

I found a good tank, but it lacks the front mounts for the frame.

I have extra mounts salvaged from past bad tanks. I am able to defume the tank and have my fab guy weld them on. While I am at it, I will have a new 13/16 tank bung welded in. This means that I can have a new gas petcock and forever be relieved of trying to find an original petcock and then fighting with crappy parts to make it good.

The shocks have been disassembled. The one in the pic is thrown together fro the pic. You see the orange rack? It was $4.99 off of eBay and is for a mid sixties Honda Trail 90. I will modify it to fit. Also I plan to build a super low solo seat, maybe with springs, maybe not. Another forum member is sending me a front fender, so all I need as far as sheetmetal parts is the chain guard, battery holder and tool tray. On this bike I will probably go with plastic side covers, because the shock tower covers are plastic.

Then I need to locate an engine.

Last edited by Smithers; 10-24-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: add pic
Unread 08-25-2010, 06:23 AM

I think I have an extra tool tray - I'll throw it in with my stuff when I get ready to leave today. If you want it you can have it.
Unread 08-25-2010, 09:10 AM

Thanks Greg!
I look forward to meeting you in BG!

Chip
Unread 08-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Time Stamp 8-27-10

I got in a front wheel assembly yesterday. Just the kind of clean up I like!
(picture here)

After a soak in the Phos bath it and a little cleaner
(picture here)

I will remove the spokes, sandblast the tube side of the rim and polish the spokes, hub and brake parts then reassemble and true the rim. To restore a crappy wheel is high effort and low dollar.

I also got a great visit from member gbaumgratz! Greg, that was a great visit and a pleasure indeed! So now at least one member of this forum has visited the shop of Spokes!

Last edited by Smithers; 11-09-2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: sp
Unread 08-28-2010, 05:05 AM

I'm really hoping we can fit in a meeting at Bowling Green Drag strip, then you can add another visitor to your list Chip.

Sam.
Unread 08-28-2010, 06:02 AM

My welcome mat is out Sam! I am about 20 minutes from the Drag Strip.
Unread 08-29-2010, 04:27 AM

Yes, it was nce to stop by and put a face with the name. Nice setup as well, people probably don't realize the few necessities to accomplish much. Not everyone needs a professional shop to accomplish great things. Now if I can make some progress on my stripping and painting...
Unread 08-29-2010, 05:22 PM

Default Wheels/hubs

hi guys,
sorry to interrupt. I haven't posted in a while. Just wondering if anyone has a really good method of polishing the aluminum hub assy's. I get that it's a lot of labour. Just what to know what method works best? Mine are decent with no big pits - just dull and oxidized.

Jim