FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 11-07-2012, 06:53 PM

Default AGM Sealed Battery?

I went to get a new battery (old one was an Interstate Battery Cycle-Tron 6N12A-2D) and the guy working suggested I try an AGM Sealed battery instead (part no: WKA6-12F2).

Does anyone have any experience using this type of battery on a CA95? Are there any recommended "go to" batteries? The sealed one has F2 connectors instead of bolt terminals so I'd have to add those onto the bike.

Thanks!
Unread 11-08-2012, 02:36 PM

I've heard good things about SLA batteries in CT70s... not sure how the electric start would like it though.
A friend of mine recently sprung for a rechargeable lithium cell for his 1950s BSA... but I think that might be a little pricey, if they even have one!
Unread 11-08-2012, 07:45 PM

For the past year-plus I've been using a Motobatt AGM battery in a high-mileage '85 Riva XC125 4-stroke scooter with electric start only (no kick) and it has served very well so far. I like the Motobatt becuase it has terminals on all 4 corners.

Last edited by frappy; 11-08-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: additional detail
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I'm sure it would work ok but if you are concerned with using the electric start compare the cold cranking amps (CCA) ratings on both batteries.
Unread 11-12-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
I'm sure it would work ok but if you are concerned with using the electric start compare the cold cranking amps (CCA) ratings on both batteries.
Excellent point. I specifically chose an AGM batttery with a higher CCA rating than the original battery installed in my Riva. It's a bit larger battery, so I had to mod the plastic battery box a bit. I am sure the increased CCA is why it's starting better. The battery itself will probably last longer than the orginal as well, cause it's not working as hard to start the bike.
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:04 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

AGM batteries really hate to be discharged near empty too. They can't take as much abuse as a regular battery. I talked to a battery shop yesterday and he's been selling a lot more AGM than anything else. People have been putting them in electric gates, carts, power backup devices and one guy even bought one to put in his Harley he said with a surprise. The one he pointed to didn't look fancy at all and he swore it still started the bike up. I'm sure the little AGM cells they make now are better than a couple years ago. I'll be picking one of these up for my next small bike battery.

Tags
battery, electrical