FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-16-2012, 12:15 PM

The bike is painted, I painted it in my back yard with TCP Global Jet Black Acrilyic Urethane. I had to do a lot of color sanding and buffing to really get it smooth. A couple parts I had to paint twice such as the fender and the gas tank because I was not happy how they came out. I did everything on the bike (expet boring out the cylinder and the valve job). The pipes are just ebay ones nothing special. Thanks guys I really appreciate the comments.
Unread 08-16-2012, 06:07 PM

video of it running so you can hear the pipes

Unread 08-16-2012, 06:59 PM

Very cool bike! yes, you have a 63 frame with a 64 engine and I agree with Lake that it really does not matter. What I like is the upgraded modern controls on the straight bar. I have an upper chain guard for a CA160 that will fit the CA95....but it needs a CA160 bottom. The part is whole but needs some cleaning and some TLC with filler. Being that your creative, you could do some metal trimming and just use it as an upper. LMK as the part is just hanging in the shed.
Unread 08-16-2012, 09:52 PM

scott12544 thanks for the offer on the shifter, i'll pay you for it + shipping so you don't lose out.ill keep my eyes peeled for a traditional shifter for you
Unread 08-16-2012, 10:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

The video of the engine sounded good. I love the sounds of these old Hondas - the newer high-revving bikes don't have that vintage in-line twin rumble.
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:02 PM

Spokes: The handle bar controls were more out of cost then looks. Some people on ebay want 160 for just one side. besides the controls have more switches, the right side has start button, head light on, parking light on, and hazards. left side has blinker switch, horn, and hi low beam. I dont have them completely wired up since the key switch controls the headlights. I converted it to 12v with the help of jetblacks post. I put an h3 100w bulb in an aftermarket headlight and the headlight is super bright but no high low option, but i did wire up the headlight to the handle bar controls just to do it, so I can turn the head light on either way. So the high low and parking lights are not wired up, but the hazards are a nice extra option.

wnbasac: not ready to give up the shifter yet until I get a regular one, but as soon as I get a new one I will part with it..

bythelake: I know the sound is awesome...The lower I can get it to idle the better with out hesitation off the line...I want it to just run like...pop...pop....pop..then rev it and it roar to life, but I dont think the bike has high enough compression or the tunning tolerances to dial it in...it sounds really cool when I am cruising slow in second and the momentum of the bike keeps it from dieing...
Unread 08-17-2012, 04:33 AM

Very nice sound to those pipes...much throatier sound than my older style originals!
Unread 08-17-2012, 09:17 PM

Scott just so happens I'm in Anaheim right now till Wednesday, going to Disneyland, dodger game and some dinners,drive-ins & dives food. So your not that far from me
Unread 08-19-2012, 07:21 PM

Default I think i have a shifter

I read below that someone is looking for a shifter for their CA95? I have one that I do not need (I sold my bike after I finished my CA77 resto.) If you still need one, PM and I will get out my box of goodies. Im in Santa Rosa, CA.
Unread 08-19-2012, 11:55 PM

Re the early frame. If you look at your second picture, you'll see the pressing on the frame where it comes from behind the tool box cover.
At the point where it goes underneath the bottom corner of the tank by the tank mount, on the later frames, this part of the pressing is much wider.
Also, all of your pictures just fall short of showing the breather coming out of the top engine mount, is there one there?
I asked how was the fit of the aftermarket mufflers, were they a good fit. (no leaks)

Sam.
Unread 08-20-2012, 09:16 PM

Kellie: pm'd you

Wnbasac: your shifter maybe on its way soon...yeah I am not too far from Disneyland, funny I have not been there in years. Your welcome to come by and check out the bike as long as you aren't too critical lol, but I dont get home from work until after 5 if you have time tomorrow.

Sam: Yes it has the breather on the top motor mount, I have it routed to the air filter. Is the breather indicative of the 64? Also from 1959 to 1963 was the frame the same and they changed it in 64? I kinda like that it is an earlier frame, makes it a little more interesting...The pipes don;t leak at all that I can tell. I thought they would leak at the mating point with the headers and the mufflers since they are just slipped on, but I cant hear or feel anything. Nor is there a gasket in there like the stock mufflers....