FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-24-2014, 11:09 AM

Default Clutch cable frustration

I'm having some issues and I'm about at the end of my rope. But what's new. When I originally put the bike together, I ordered a full set of cables from Thailand. They worked perfectly for a while but I only got about 1200 miles out of the cheap, thin clutch cable before it snapped. I've tried ordering new cables from Ebay with absolutely no luck. The first one I ordered was one of these: which I thought would work correctly since I was under the impression that the cables were the same between the early and late bikes. It was too short. It must have been for a low bar bike. I modified it and sort of got it to work but I couldn't keep it adjusted properly. Then I ordered one of these: and it is WAY too long. It adjusts properly but it has big kinks right before the hole under the gas tank and right after is exits the frame and it is too hard to pull for the bike to be rideable.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could get a new cable of reasonable quality (trying to avoid another Thailand cable) that will fit the bike properly. Is Ohio Cycle going to be my best bet? If so, I guess I'll get the carrier pigeon ready and try to order from them.

Last edited by Buckets81; 08-24-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Unread 08-24-2014, 01:14 PM

What year is your bike?

From my experience, 1964 & 1965's had a hard elbow at the clutch handle.
Unread 08-24-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
What year is your bike?

From my experience, 1964 & 1965's had a hard elbow at the clutch handle.
Mine is a '65. The Thailand cable I bought had the hard elbow and neither of the replacements did.
Unread 08-25-2014, 02:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

I got about 650 miles out of my clutch cable before it snapped at the top, about 10 miles from home. I had to push-start it, then do clutchless shifts to get back home. My clutch has always been hard to pull, which is likely a factor. I've lubed the clutch actuator, lubed the cable, but it's made no difference. The cable routing is correct, with no sharp bends. The clutch springs are original. I'm assuming that my new clutch cable will have a similar lifespan.
Unread 08-25-2014, 03:11 AM

I will look in my spare parts box. I may have a good used original clutch cable.

BTL, I found the reason for the hard clutch pull. The rotating auger/actuator has sharp edges. When you pull the clutch in, you have metal to metal contact between the male/female parts.

I used a de-burring wheel from our T&D dept. to smooth out the edges of the male auger. My clutch is smooth as silk.

If both of you guys are interested, just send me your clutch adjuster/auger, both male & female parts, and I will smooth them out and send them back (with some special grease)

PM if interested!
Unread 08-25-2014, 11:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
I will look in my spare parts box. I may have a good used original clutch cable.

BTL, I found the reason for the hard clutch pull. The rotating auger/actuator has sharp edges. When you pull the clutch in, you have metal to metal contact between the male/female parts.

I used a de-burring wheel from our T&D dept. to smooth out the edges of the male auger. My clutch is smooth as silk.

If both of you guys are interested, just send me your clutch adjuster/auger, both male & female parts, and I will smooth them out and send them back (with some special grease)

PM if interested!
This is encouraging, Chip. Thanks for the information.

I'll pull the mechanism out the next chance I get and do the same.
Unread 08-25-2014, 04:43 PM

I have access to the tools as well and will also clean mine up. Thanks for the great tip. My brother came over today and rerouted mine and it is possible to pull with one hand now. I think I'll order a couple of Thailand cables so I have a spare for when one snaps and I'll debur the augur and see how that works.

Thanks for the response.
Unread 08-25-2014, 05:08 PM

Always glad to help. I don't have an old one like I thought, but if I needed a spare or a good used example this one would work http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-HONDA-CA9...ae7b02&vxp=mtr

I would flush the casing out with some WD40, re-oil it with some quality gun oil or 3 in 1 oil, shine the elbow on my buffing wheel or paint it bright silver. Chances are it will outlast any Thai cable.
Unread 08-25-2014, 05:26 PM

Buckets81

Just an FYI. . The second cable you linked that you had big kinks in is for the early CA's. (Early 63's and earlier) I am surprised you found one. When I was looking, I had to wait quite a while to get the correct NOS one for my early '63. You need the cable with the hard bend.