FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Aprilia Mille RSVR - 1st Generation

Unread 07-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

This is by far the easiest and best thing you can do to improve the looks of an Aprilia Mille. License plate brackets are easily made or bought for $40. Everyone knows what I'm talking about so let's dive in.

Before...

Time to chop off those ugly ears! Don't bother using a Dremel or high speed blade of some sort. That's way too aggressive and the blade will heat up and cause problems with the plastic. Just grab a simple Japanese saw from a hardware store like OSH or Lowe's. They are 10-20 bucks and you will wonder how you got along without one! They are seriously one of the best tools for custom work around the house and a MUST HAVE for working with plastic. They cut through plastic so easy it's amazing.

Unread 07-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Admin

Here is the result: a perfectly cut line! The little Japanese saws cut so fast you can have your rear end trimmed up in less than 10 minutes from disassembly. Just for reference have a look at where I made the cut. I took maybe 10 minutes deciding just where to make the correct cut so have no fear. The pictures tell all.

Unread 07-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Admin

I haven't bothered to put some signals on yet. I'll post more when I decide on what brand to use. I'm thinking Rizoma brand. They are super bright and the angular design is very nice. It's either that brand of the ones that Graves racing makes. I've seen them on a few bikes and they are very bright as well... but just not at 360 degrees like the Rizoma ones.

Here is what they look like:

Unread 07-19-2008, 05:40 AM
Admin

Just FYI I intended to integrate the turn signals into the brake lights. When I bought my rear tail lamps I received them with a signal integrator kit attached. But low and behold it was malfunctioning. I trouble shooted the box and found it to be faulty. Oh well... I wouldn't pay near 100 for a new one when I could buy a set of LED signals for the front and back for that price. It's a tossup. Set of LED's or just integrate the signals into the tail lights...

One thing right now that's pretty neat is that one of my rear bulbs has the "low beam" filament burnt out. SO when I ride normal only one of the lenses is illuminated. Then when I hit the brakes they both come on with the bright filaments. This is kinda nice because it is REALLY obvious when I'm braking. When me and the guys are out for some "spirited" riding I brake hard for some turns more than usual when I anticipate some road damage, fresh asphalt or sand etc. When I do this i tap the brake 2 or 3 times just so they know I'm going in cautiously. I think it's more important on the street to communicate things like this as it's just a part of surviving. There are other signals for other things as well like road debris and law enforcement.

Anyhow I'll probably go through with some signals but if I had all the time in the world I wouldn't mind making my own LED board with yellow and red LED's to shine in the two rear lenses. Oh well if anyone wants to see how to wire your rear brake lights with the signals for a nice clean look check out this link: http://sportbikeguy.com/garage/floor/signal.html Pretty good ideas there.

I think with these tips you'll still need to buy a new flasher relay. They are cheap and you can buy LED flashers cheap if you want to integrate some LED's into the mix. And then they make the LED bulbs that you can plug into your bulb sockets to convert em. There are lots of options.