FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > 2005 Suzuki (Kawasaki) RMZ 250 Motocross

2005 Suzuki (Kawasaki) RMZ 250 Motocross Just decided to take on a project that I couldn't resist - the price was right.

Unread 02-14-2013, 12:07 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Some assembly required. Putting everything back together is the best part. I surfaced the bearing surfaces, packed the rollers and all that.

Unread 02-14-2013, 12:23 AM
Admin

Shall we have a look inside? Two 6mm Allen screws and the RMZ valve cover comes right off for valve clearance inspection.

And here we have it. You simply put the timing mark on TDC and both of the cam lobes will be on their sides at the same time. Then you use the appropriate feeler gauge to slip under them to see how tight or loose they are. Motion pro makes a valve feeler gauge that's really slim and is supposed to be easier to slip down in there. I had no problem using my standard gauge.

Unread 02-14-2013, 12:28 AM
Admin

Here is the intake cam with the cap removed. It's got a beefy bearing on the gear side and a lubricated journal on the other. There is some controversy about some people having their journals seize up in their engines. There are some factors that could contribute to this such as old oil breaking down, air bubbles rendering the oil pump inoperative causing oil starvation up top and the cam caps being too tight. There was a torque spec change made in the factory service manual. Suzuki/ Kawasaki reduced the amount of torque for some reason and some mechanics recommend blue Lock-Tite and even less torque. And don't forget to tighten the bolts down in an x pattern in two stages of tightness at least.

Unread 02-14-2013, 12:34 AM
Admin

To break up the monotony. I threw the rolling chassis in my truck and took it over to my friends one afternoon to remove a couple links out of a new chain. The other chain wasn't too bad but I will put that one on the Honda CRF150 to replace the original old O-ring jobby on that bike.

Unread 02-17-2013, 07:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Nice pics, Ryan. The cam lobes look like new.
Unread 02-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Admin

The colors make my pics look good I think. I have some pictures I need to add of the valves and the head. There was more carbon on the stems than I expected but the valves and seats were in great shape. I was surprised how well they cleaned up with a little bead blasting. There is not that much wear on this engine after all. I lucked out! Wait till you see how it all cleaned up. I'll drop by my machinists shop in the morning. It might be assembled and ready.
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Admin

Here she is! I made a mad dash over the past week and managed to get it tuned and running. It wasn't easy! This bike had multiple problems by the time it came my way. More on this later but here is the end result. This sucker is mean! It's a lot quicker than I thought. The mods that have been done to it and the head/valve job really must have made a difference. It lift the front end up off the ground in multiple gears just accelerating down the street. And I was leaning forward as I didn't want to try and wheelie at all. If you pull the throttle back the front end will come up that's for sure.

Greased up the new filter. Almost looks like it would taste good. mmmmmm...

Unread 03-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Admin

I couldn't help myself! You know how we do around here.

Unread 03-21-2013, 05:00 AM

Are you gonna paint the plastic stuff, I'm not diggin the yellow&blue ( Not a Michigan fan)-
The blue is very nice tho... Orange and Blue would make a nice Gator bike .... my 2 cents worth
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Admin

The yellow and blue takes me back to the early 90's when I missed out on a good looking RM250. So I settled the bill and finally found this Suzuki 250. I would still love a 250 2 stroke but this one will do just fine. I already have an orange bike (KTM with blue radiator hoses) .