FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-24-2010, 09:15 AM

I don't profess to be a Benly Master.....But, when I rebuilt my first CA95 engine, it too would not start. After much agonizing I found that I still did not have my valves adjusted right. I know, I know, that may seem irritating. According to the manual, I will quote just what applies.

Remove the contact breaker cover and align the pointer on the generator with the black "T" on the rotor.

Remove the four caps and loosen the lock nuts on the tappets.

Adjust the tappets for intake and exaust on one side (cylinder) then rotate the crankshaft one revolution and adjust the other side.

For kicks and grins, I would do a compression check before the adjustment and after the adjustment. If the tappet (valve) adjustment causes an increase in compression (because the valves are fully seated) then you may have success.

You certainly don't have to the compression check, to check your work.

I went through the same agony on my newly rebuild motor, that's how I got the laser pic. I had to make sure I got the timing right.

Now here is the kicker. IF FOR SURE=Valves are correct IF FOR SURE=Timing is correct (the pics say yes) Then you have to do a compression check. If the compression is under more or less 110lbs (good is 120, my engine ran at 115lbs Then you don't have enough compression to start the motor. (Bad valves or worn cylinder) Let's hope not.....although not the end of the world.
Unread 08-24-2010, 01:54 PM

I've been called some things in my time, but Benly Master
OK, joke over, just call me Sir Sam
I really am pleased that you have this problem because you made me think if there was anything that could be done to make this process more simple.
It took me all of 10 seconds to come up with an idea for a gadget that will help in the setting up of the ignition. I can't explain it now as it will involve some presision machining to make the gadget. I'll see if it works before I unleash it on the WWW.:)
Don't for one minute think you are the only one with this problem, I have it every time I put a motor back together, it really dose involve getting the main generator cover on in the right place and there is no way of knowing if it's right or wrong untill you find that you can't get the ignition timing correct.
In your case 62, you need to make sure that, when you fitted the points cam/advance assembly onto the rotor, did the peg on the back of it locate into the slotted keyway. If it didn't, then the ignition will be all over the place.
Another thing to check, as Ryan (smithers) said in his link, make sure the advance and retard unit is free and not sticking open, it needs to be closed to set up the timing. Do this and check back.

Sam. the Benly Master
Unread 08-24-2010, 02:08 PM

I will be very, extemely, beyond pleased, when the final answer is found. I will print out the answer and tape into my manual!
Unread 08-24-2010, 02:29 PM

I think 62 is doing somthing wrong Chip Benly Master, but the outer cover really can be a pain in the butt. You wouldn't beleive how many times the same problem crops up on the CB750 and it's all down to sloppy fitting, thanks Honda

Sam.
Unread 08-24-2010, 02:52 PM

Ok so I checked the spark advancer peg and made sure it was on there correctly, and it was. I took some pictures.

I could rotate the ovalish rotor (Cam) 180 Degrees. Im thinking I'll try this. I took some pictures so you know what Im talking about.

Also, I have a concern about the rotor bolt Im using. Its a little bit bent. Im hoping it would straighten out when screwed in all the way, or even better, its no problem at all. I took a picture of that too.

UPDATE!!!!

Ok, so she fired up and reved like crazy. My hearts racin, the battery cable came undone and it only reved up for like 3 or 4 seconds and stopped thank heaven.

I am sure rotating the cam 180 Degrees did the trick. Now I just have to get the poor old guy to start up peacefully. Whew!!! This is exciting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Advancer Peg.jpg (58.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Key.jpg (54.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Attached.jpg (50.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Benly _01 007.jpg (44.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Bent.jpg (50.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by 62benly; 08-24-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Unread 08-24-2010, 03:03 PM

See how easy it is, as soon as you talk to the Benly Masters, you start to figure it out for yourself. That is our magic rubbing off onto you.

Sam, Benly Master retired
Unread 08-24-2010, 06:57 PM

Congrats and a very interesting and brilliant move! I will print this thread out and paste it into my manual. I would of never guessed that the "cam" could be installed incorrectly.

Now the fast throttle...here is the same kind of issue. In the throttle "slot" in the handlebars (assuming you have the internal throttle assembly) is a small "stay". The throttle cable end fits inside the "stay". Looking at it you will see how it fits. You can acually install it backwards! The throttle will feel as if it works! But your bike will scream the rev's! Been there done that too!

So for blasting fast rev's, check that "stay"!

Also you have an adjustment for the throttle just outside the frame at the front of the tank.
Unread 08-25-2010, 03:11 PM

Default The Benly Lives

I fixed the throttle problem and she purrs. Like music to my ears.

Thanks Sam and Spokes for your masterful help.

I posted a video for your pleasure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei2MmotbfvY
Unread 08-26-2010, 06:17 AM

Well done 62, a nice example of the early Benly.

Sam.