FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 09-30-2009, 06:20 AM

Default you call this fun????

Were you dropped on your head as baby??? lol. I'm kidding, actually, I am hoping for the best with this carb situation. If it doesn't fit, then I will be out hunting for one that does. Hey, just another set back.... not life altering.

Thanks for the heads up Sixtyfive, I had no idea that the carb might not fit, I mean I guess you always have that come up when you swap parts, or engines as that might be. Just one more hurdle. But I do have to say, rebuilding the 150, probably would have been easier lol. Oh well, gives the hubby something to do, right?
Unread 09-30-2009, 12:42 PM

Default Follow up....

Hey SixtyFive, do you think that it is your brand of carb that keeps it from fitting, because I was looking at mine, and I think mine might work. I have a Keihin model. I mean I could be altogether wrong here, when I get the motor in the frame and all, but, looking at it, it looks like it should fit. Can you send me a picture of your carb? And maybe an explanation of why yours wont fit? I mean if it isn't too much trouble. I'm just curious. Thanks....

Kellie
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:07 PM

My original carb was a Keihin as well. Most, if not all of these bikes came with Keihin pw20s. It won't fit without some kind of manifold. If you look at the pictures of Smithers' CA160 engine, you can see the difference in how a CA160 carb mounts to the engine:

http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=199

They made some kind of adapter so the carb could be mounted on the 160. The carb itself appears to be the same size as a CA95 carb, and might be essentially the same carb. But w/o that adapter, it's way too skinny.

Last edited by SixtyFiveCA95; 09-30-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:16 PM

Default Ok....

Now I see what you're talking about. Hmm... do you have any suggestions??? lol. I am thinking my husband will need to fabricate one of these "adapters".
He is really loving me at this point lol. Thanks for the picture... it helped.
Unread 10-03-2009, 08:33 AM

Default Follow up....

I "THINK" I found a carburetor for my 160 w/manifold. I am waiting for it to be shipped, because something inside of me says, to believe it when I see it! I have searched and searched, and I have to tell you, these things are like gold, definitely well hidden.
Unread 10-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Be glad you aren't working on the same period Ducati motorcycles. Dellorto carburetors are around 3-4 hundred and cost 2-3 hundred to rebuild properly. I was at my friends shop last night checking out his Ducati rebuild project and he was STOKED to get a steal of a deal on a Dellorto carb on Ebay for $320!! And it will need a little bit of work. They just don't exist basically. Supply and demand at it's finest!

It should be pretty easy to find one of those Chinese carbs and make it work. Just need to measure the bore of it and match it... and of course a little more work with the studs, just takes time. BUt yeah, if you found another 160 carb you are money.
Unread 10-03-2009, 02:26 PM

Default Wow....

Your friend must be single and have a lot of money. That sounds like a bike that would be pricey to own. Before buying this bike, I NEVER used Ebay, since my purchase, I just hit 50 purchases off ebay. Good idea, just a little TOO convienent, and I am one who HATES to shop. Although, I think I am good now. Nothing pressing that needs buying, well, until the next snag.

Last edited by KellieLyne; 10-03-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Unread 10-03-2009, 10:48 PM

There are a few places to get Dellorto carbs for around $150. granted those are mostly for mopeds.

But who knows, you could be lucky.
Unread 10-10-2009, 09:08 PM

Default Okay back to the original question of this thread....

is it possible to swap out a 150 motor on a CA95 and pop in a 160 engine from a CA160. Possible, well yeah, of course this means making many alterations like different exhaust, and different exhaust joints to mount the pipes to the head. Plus the carburetor does not swap between the two without a manifold ( which is extremely difficult to find) So I opted to search for a 160 carb, which is equally difficult to find. I know you can use different carbs and modify them to work, but remember, this was suppose to be an "easy" swap until I rebuilt the 150 to put back into the bike (trying to keep it original). Oh and I also needed a different clutch cable, because the 150 cable would not work. So, after buying all that, getting the 160 ready to swap, we came upon another hang up. The mounting bracket underneath the gas tank, does not accommodate the width of the 160 motor mounting bracket. From what I could tell, it was a little over 1/2 inch too small. Yeah we probably could have modified this bracket, but, remember, I wanted to keep the 150 engine to stay true to the history of the bike. So, we pulled the plug. We decided, that we did not want to bend the bracket or fabricate anything else to try to make this engine fit. If we were going to keep this engine in the bike, maybe we would have decided differently. I don't know what other issues we might have come across if we had decided to proceed, but I think that rebuilding the 150 engine will have to be easier than this headache. So now the 150 is pulled apart and we are inspecting it. Who knows what we will fine. Maybe in the end, that 160 WILL fit. LOL. Heck whats a little more work, and bit more money???? So, now the answer to that question will it fit? Guess someone else will have to be the one to figure that out. <sigh>. Who knows maybe I will come across a 160 honda needing a motor.... because it's an awfully large paper weight.
Unread 10-11-2009, 05:40 PM

Looks like I'll have to find a new 150 engine then. Bummer. I sorta supected it might be too good to be true, but was hoping otherwise............

Last edited by SixtyFiveCA95; 10-11-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Unread 10-12-2009, 11:59 AM

Default well....

I didn't say it couldn't be done.... just I'm not going to do it. I've have to say, I was a little disappointed because after talking to Smithers, I thought COOL I can cruise with the 160 for a while and see the difference in power. Then take my time putting the 150 back together. I just couldn't see doing all these modifications to make a temporary motor fit. The object was to do a simple swap for a DOFER... you know Do for now, but heck, do you know how much money Ive spent already on this "simple swap"? I told my husband, its going on ebay. He said nah just keep it, you might end up with another bike that your willing to make alterations to. I just can't justify doing that to this bike, its in too good of shape.
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:13 PM

Well, I do have a CA160 frame to take the mounts from, but I'd have to cut them off that frame, cut the old 150 mounts off off of my bike, and then weld the CA160 mounts on my frame.........not so sure that I want to go through all of that. Now, if my 160 engine was a runner, that's another story. But it has to be rebuilt.

I wouldn't do it with your bike either. That thing is gorgeous. Mine's nowhere near that nice looking. Wouldn't feel bad doing to mine, though.
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Ahhh just will take a little more work to make the 160 work. Sorry to hear it's not so plug and play. If you could weld a new bracket on to mount the engine you could just use a spacer when you got put the 150 back in. And the carb adapter - I didn't think they would be so different. I wish you were closer so I could help make it fit. It would be worth it. But let us know what you guys find in the Benly engine.

I just bought a set of original exhaust headers off of Ebay for $20 for the 150. The ones on the blue Honda are deteriorating on the edges that meet the engine. After talking about fabbing a new exhaust I thought having some spare originals wouldn't be a bad idea.
Unread 10-12-2009, 05:33 PM

I might still do it. I already have the CA160 frame to remove the mount from, and I already have the exhaust parts because I have that CB160 engine with the pipes still on it. And the pipes and joints are the same as the CA engine.

I can't find a good 150 engine out here anyways, and I know that the 160 would be much better since I plan to ride it alot. Plus, it isn't prone to that pesky bearing failure that 150s were known to have. Pretty sure that that was what happened to mine.
Unread 10-13-2009, 06:25 PM

Default uhhh

Bearing failure?????? Can you fill me in on this??? Oh and Smithers, we found that on the 150 motor, the first and second rings were put in the wrong positions and one of the rings was put in upside down. So, we are taking a closer look at the engine, and doing some much needed cleaning and inspecting it before we put it all back together.