FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Honda Dream CA160

Honda Dream CA160 The old black horse

Unread 11-04-2010, 03:24 PM

Default Project 1966 Honda CA160 Project

This is a start of another Honda CA160 restoration project. The bike was found on ebay. Basically a barn find. The bike should be in my newly relocated shop in two weeks. The story and pics will begin then. The starting pic:

Last edited by Spokes; 11-04-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: add pic
Unread 11-18-2010, 03:51 PM

Time Stamp 11-18-10

The bike was loaded on a truck in Kansas this afternoon. In a few days, in the shop and "start pics" will be posted along with a starting description.
Unread 11-20-2010, 01:44 PM

Time Stamp 11-20-10

The bike arrived today. Barn fresh. It has been sitting for the last 6yrs I am told.

After a nice hot water bath (need hot water as it is 28F)

One noticable flaw one muffler is damaged

The engine turns over smoothly ( loaded the cylinders with motor oil first) and there is some sheetmetal damage. The tires are bad, speedo broken, seat is trash, battery way dead, side cover screw is gone and the handlebars are bent. But $203.00 for the bike and $300.00 to ship makes it a good value and very restorable. The fuel tank is sound as well. Back to thinking about color. I have to say I like the Honda Red.

For those of you who have been following my threads starting in Bowling Green, Ky., below is a pic of my new shop in Eden Prairie, MN

Last edited by Spokes; 11-20-2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: one more pic
Unread 11-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

That bike isn't in bad shape at all! NIce one. Those 160's run so nice. Hmm look at all that free space you have in that new shop. I remember when my garage was empty...
Unread 11-25-2010, 09:26 AM

Time Stamp 11-25-10 Thanksgiving.

The bike is 1/2 torn down.

So far the unsalvagable items are: handlebars, fuel petcock, all control cables, speedo, side covers, right muffler. The gas tank is sound. I am soaking it in a solution that will not attack the metal, only the iron oxide (rust) (This solution is not available to the public)

I am expecting some front end damage as the front wheel is out of alignment. I have collected many of the parts needed to replace the unsalvagable parts. I may make an adapter for the fuel petcock so I can install a new upgraded one. The tank is so nice I hate to modify it.

Last edited by Spokes; 11-27-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Unread 12-07-2010, 06:31 PM

Time Stamp Dec. 7, 2010

My Buco saddlebags arrived yesterday. The mounts are wrong, but by spring I will find used ones or have my stainless copies made by my fab shop. Just collecting parts at this stage. The shop is unheated and is about 15F. Too cold to do anything. Sub-zero weather is due soon. So just small prep projects I can bring in for now. No real progress expected until spring.
Unread 12-15-2010, 09:25 PM

Time Stamp 12-15-10
Rec'd a gift of a 30K-80K BTU heater for the garage. Great for a couple hours of play at a time.

I pulled the front end off of the bike. It appears that the front shocks are bent. No problem as I have spares. I also found a copper wire in place of the fuse. I will be breaking down the wiring harness to check for shorts. The bike is just sitting on its back wheel for now. Soon to be completely torn down.
Unread 12-18-2010, 03:06 PM

Time Stanp 12-18-10

The bike has been broken down completely. I will be replacing the rear drive hub as it is broken. I have located a sandblasting business that also does bead and glass media, so in mid Jan. the bike will be sandblasted and stored dry until I can get it primed. In the meantime I will be sending out some parts to be rechromed and polishing aluminum componants. I plan to build turn signals and modify CA95 rear fender braces to fit the bike and signals
Unread 12-27-2010, 05:47 PM

Time Stamp 12-27-10
I have cleaned all of the painted sheet metal parts. Except for some dings and some small dents, the paint is close to nice, about 96% good. The rear wheel has been broken down to install a good hub and then needs to be re-laced.

I should get the new MN title soon and have purchased plates good to Dec. 2012
Unread 12-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Ok I'm ready to see some pictures.
Unread 12-28-2010, 06:53 PM

OK! Here are some shots. The bike is completely broken down with the exception of the engine, for which I am awaiting a manual and parts book.

Sheetmetal

Parts that needs work

Hubs to be polished along with other aluminum parts

Loose small and medium parts in storage tool box

The engine with covers off

Warm storage of both the build from scratch and the 160 frame and clean parts

Small basement cove with wiring (to check out) Speedo repair and Buco Saddlebags

There is much polishing and custom light building. I will start a thread on "how to build lights for your Buco Saddlebags" Also many small jobs to complete until warm weather allows me to paint.

Last edited by Spokes; 12-28-2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: fix pics
Unread 02-13-2011, 08:33 PM

Time Stamp 2-13-2011

It's been awhile since my last update with this project. All of the sheet metal parts have been cleaned and are awaiting sandblasting. I have collected replacement side covers (found metal ones) a carb cover, wheel bearings and cables. The controls have been polished and stored. I have found a rear hub and will relace the rear rim. The engine will be cleaned up and tuned with new ignition parts. I am going to mount the engine and try to start it. The bike should be assembled in June or July.

This bike already has MN plates waiting to mount.

Last edited by Spokes; 02-13-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: sp
Unread 02-27-2011, 09:20 PM

Time Stamp 2-27-2011
It's been a long and snowy winter. Most of the sheetmetal parts have been stripped and in warm storage. The engine has been cleaned spotless and rests in the basement shop. I have cleaned and serviced the clutch and oil spinner. I have started polishing aluminum parts as well. A friend of mine gave me a new front fender,so the original front fender will go on the build from scratch CA95 project. I am ordering new chrome case screws for the engine.

Hopefully I can get to painting in two months. This bike will be Metallic Red Candy Apple. I will use two colors of primer to give the bike a two tone paint job look
Unread 03-25-2011, 09:26 AM

Time Stamp 3-25-2011

Still working on the project small bits at a time. The rear hub on this bike was broken. A used replacement hub was found, the original rim was clean enough to reuse. The pic below shows the used hub, spokes, Spoke Nipples and rim polished up and re-laced.

Last edited by Spokes; 03-25-2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: fix
Unread 04-07-2011, 07:32 PM

Time Stamp 4-7-2011

Finally the weather is warming up. only 6 ft piles of snow remain in the shopping mall parking lots. Today all of the cleaned and partially stripped metal parts have gone to the sandblaster. A slight crack in the rear fender will be welded.

I will be truing the newly spoked wheels in a week or so with my new truing stand. Paint in May and reassemble.