FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Honda Dream CA160

Honda Dream CA160 The old black horse

Unread 09-04-2013, 04:08 PM

Default Paint Removal

Had the CA160 sandblasted last week, picked up today, looks great, will start body work priming tomorrow while waiting for my CA150 top end parts to come in.
However, the engine was painted very poorly with what I assume is flat black heat paint and some white over spray for the frame. The guy I bought it from painted everything either black or white, Spokes, rims, hubs, exhaust, frame etc, no masking. (real pretty.....not!)

Anyway, my plan was to sand of the paint on the engine by hand, and wire wheel the other parts. Not having a very good time and a lot of it just will not seem to come off. I called the shop that sandblasted the frame and they told me that they can soda blast the cases. They said it is easier clean up than glass beads. I think that is the route I am going to go. Was trying to save a couple of $ doing it myself but it will just take to long.

Go figure, we take extra care when prepping any parts for paint, mask everything and we still have problems having paint adhere sometimes.
This guy just picks up some rattle cans and the stuff turns into the best adhering paint job though it was a sight to be seen up close.

I guess it's kind of like having a hard time lighting the charcoal grill with 10 gallons of lighter fluid, but a forest fire can start with a simple spark.

Last edited by grubsie; 09-04-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Unread 09-05-2013, 03:03 AM

Spotty paint adhesion problems are referred to as "fish eye". Keep in mind that all metal is porous. Contamination hides within the grain. I wash all of my bare sandblasted parts with Dawn Dish soap. I wet the parts (one at a time) and squirt the soap on and scrub with steel wool & a paint brush. After a good rinse I use a torch to quickly dry the steel.****except the gas tank***

Don't fret about a little flash rust. Use steel wool after drying to remove any flash rust.

Always wear disposable gloves to prevent body oil contamination. You can get a "Fish Eye" additive for your paint but it is really expensive and all you need is a few drops.