FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 07-07-2012, 11:36 AM

Default New member with a 1965 CA 95

All,
Great forum with excellent posters who have done the work and are eager to share, specially photos.
I bought this little bike on Ebay for $310.00. The guy I bought it from gave me an email from the person who I outbid offering to buy it for $100.00 more than I paid. After checking Ebay for parts, I believe the thing is worth more in parts then as the whole thing. Of course it won't get scattered to the wind, but have me riding it one day. Wish I had the bucks to do a really full resto like "bythelake", but she'll run and not be so pretty. kinda like a homely Southern girl. (I'm in Jamestown, NC).
I rescued a 1973 Jawa 250 California about 18 years ago from a dimwad disassembler. It took a bit to get running, but it drives me about the neighborhood every summer. I don't have a title so can't register and get on the big roads.
I'll try to post photos of both. Then the questions from me begin...
Unread 07-07-2012, 12:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Erik, welcome aboard. Looking forward to seeing your pictures. It's nice to hear of another old Honda being saved to be ridden, as intended.
Unread 07-07-2012, 03:10 PM

Welcome!
Unread 07-07-2012, 04:01 PM

Register the Jawa through Vermont; you don't have to be a resident of Vermont to register through them. They won't issue titles on bikes under 400cc, however they will send you a registration and a tag to legally ride it on the road in any state. Your tag will arrive first with an orange sticker with a T on it, for temporary; then about a week later, the registration and mo/yr sticker comes. When it comes time to renew; head down to your local dmv and they will issue you a new registration, tag and title.

It's easier than dealing with state DMV's that have a lot of red taped bureaucracy; like NC(my home state) I didn't think DMV's could get any worse until I moved to SC, of course SC's government is more corrupt than a 3rd world country...and I am not trying to be funny either. This time next year, I should be moving to Oregon; and I intend to forget anything is East of the Rockies.
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:41 AM

Red face

Eric , welcome aboard ! If you've looked around this site you'll find a wealth of information to help get your bike running and keeping it in great shape .
My mantra or thing is inspect the bike thoroughly if it hasn't run in a while and even if it's currently running give it a good once over . Wiring , electrical components , good grounds , fuel system ( tank , fuel lines, carb ),clean engine oil ,points properly adjusted and fresh spark plugs .
Once your satisifed that the mechanicals are in order ,install a battery ,verify the various electrical systems work ,kick it motor over and verify you have spark at the points and each plug .
If your fuel tank needs work you can rig a temp. fuel tank from a plastic soda bottle and some fittings ,add fuel, kick the motor over and you should have a running engine .
Then you can address the rest of the bikes mechanical systems . It should be SAFE to ride before you actually go for your first ride .
Good luck and keep us apprised of your progress .
Unread 07-08-2012, 08:53 AM

Default One pic of the CA 95

Here's a pic of the bike after it was picked up. It's complete except for headlight and rim and kick pedal. It's got 5514 miles on it with original tires, albeit dry rotted. The last inspection was New Jersey 1973, but came with a 1982 Jersey plate. Interestingly the title is a SC circa 1995, with the frame # as the ID. The engine # is CA95E5019272, frame #CA955019119, 153 apart. This fits with the 154 total apart I've read here. I suppose it's a late 1965- although titled as a 1967.

I believe the guy I bought it from took off the kick pedal because when I ordered one off of Ebay and installed it, it just spins with no contact, spins free. I was freaked that the gears were stripped and would have to split the cases. Looking through the posts here the clutch is stuck open, hopefully. This week I'll remove the RS engine cover and remove and clean the clutch and oil pump. RS case gaskets are about $15.00, I'll try to make my own. I'll for sure take pics and drawings as I took apart and cleaned the starter motor and scratched my head getting all the thrust washers back in the right place. Nightmare. Sorry for the long post, I'm windy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07-2012 002 smaller.jpg (150.6 KB, 27 views)
Unread 07-08-2012, 09:26 AM

From what I have heard, here in IL the bikes were titled the year they were sold. Great looking bike by the way... I am also new to this forum. great people here, lots of help and advise !
Unread 07-08-2012, 09:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Thanks for sharing the pic. I absolutely love seeing these pictures for the first time, assessing what has been done to the motorcycle in 46+ years. That frame number puts your Benly among the last 700 or so made. The CA95-5xxxxxx frame serials were sold and titled as 1965 and 1966 models. I'm not among the experts out here, but I'll weigh in on my assumptions based on your picture:

1) Probably not the original tires. The late Benlys shipped with wider white walls, so I'm assuming that at some point the tires were changed, which is likely, given the age. Still ancient tires I'm sure.

2) Are the tank chrome panels in good shape? If so, that's a big plus. Definitely the original tank badges, since only fragments remain. The aftermarket steel tank badges are inexpensive.

3) Looks like a complete chain guard ... another big plus.

4) Aftermarket turn signals were added, front and rear.

5) Front foot peg(s) have abandoned the bike. Inexpensive replacements are available.

6) Just a guess here, but it looks like some screws were added to the left side panel, perhaps to support a corroding tool tray? Not sure.

7) Carb covers are missing. Those can be a challenge to find at times, but I see one listed as new on eBay for $37.99 or best offer, plus $20 shipping from Thailand. Some folks go without.

8) Mirrors are missing, but replacements are inexpensive.

Overall, an excellent project bike, in better shape than what I started with. No rush, enjoy the project.

Last edited by ByTheLake; 07-08-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Unread 07-08-2012, 10:06 AM

Looks like you've found a very nice almost complete bike to start with , that's a good thing .
If you find you need parts ,let us know , most of us have spares that may keep you from having to buy on E-Bay . I'll be at AMA's vintagefest at Mid-Ohio in a couple of weeks rounding up parts that i need for several projects .Let me know if there's something you need .
Unread 07-08-2012, 02:30 PM

Kartgreen, I'm disassembling, checking, greasing and adjusting all mechanical things. Front to rear. The tank is heavily rusted inside and missing the bowl petcock, it's been rigged. I suspect whomever got the bike in SC in 1995 tried to get it running- probably did as the plugs are new looking and show evidence of being fired, but not much. They're NKG D8HA. I'll do the Works cleaning, maybe, and replace the petcock. I'll have something made to attach a petcock from Demon Cycles mentioned on this forum. Luckily I work at a aircraft manufacturer in Greensboro, N.C., the machine shop is next to our department and those are good guys. Part of the reason I bought an old Honda- I want the oldest bike in the parking lot! A guy has a nice original 1970 or so model Honda 350 I have to look at every time he rides it. Got to find out who owns it.
ByTheLake, You are my hero, that CA 95 you're restoring will be something fantastic, surely motorcycle magazines will feature. My assumption about the tires being original are because they're whitewalls and Ohtsu brand, also the mileage. My '73 Jawa currently has the original front tire, Barum brand, of course new tube and rimstrip. It had 3106 original miles when I got it, maybe 3500 by now as the speedo doesn't work now. Interestingly the side cover on the CA has factory holes with rubber inserts, for what reason escapes me. I'll upload a pic tomorrow. Sure wish the tools came with the machine. The turn signals were obviously added- surely by the dealer who drilled holes in the headlight cover and holes in the rear fender. They were run nicely thru channels at the rear underneath the fender on the other side of where the tail light wiring runs. The only reason I think dealer is the switch on the handle bars is Japanese looking JEC brand and the turn signals are made in Japan Stanley. I'll not have the signals again so if anyone here wants them, with the indicator relay we can talk trades...
The speedo is toast so I'll rig up some sort of neutral light under the glass. For some reason it held water and rusted totally. Should anybody want the innards it's yours for the asking and shipping. I'm windy again...
Unread 07-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Good to have you with us Erik. I think the tires could very well be original but not typical. My black CA160 has the same original tires as the thin white wall tires are common on the 160. Let's not turn this into a tire thread guys....
Unread 07-10-2012, 08:21 PM

Welcome Erik! I sold my 1965 CA95 afew months back, but I do have some left over parts that I am willing to send your way for the price of shipping. Let me know what you need and I will check my box to see what I have left.
Unread 07-13-2012, 01:14 PM

KellieLynn,

Thanks so much for the offer. If I could find a headlight assembly with rim and attaching hardware, no matter the condition, I'd be a happy person. A set of mufflers, even rusted, would make me all giddy inside! The previous owner had taken a hacksaw to the ends and removed the packing. I bet it sounded boss...at the time... Failing finding some, I'm thinking of finding some small aftermarket mufflers and somehow stuffing them inside and sealing them up with the tips out. An intact tail light lens would be great, but they are available for not much money. Wow, I can think of more stuff- a set of points, possibly the timing advance device underneath the points plate, the points cam came rusted (most likely will clean up) and a set of pegs for the driver. Sounds like a wish list...

I hate you sold your CA 95. Surely you have more bikes. In fact I remember reading thru this forum you have right many. Correct?

Do please have a good weekend and thanks so much for the offer.
Unread 07-13-2012, 01:15 PM

Sorry, KellieLyne.