FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 03-07-2014, 08:51 AM

Thumbs up

Metal Side Covers!
Unread 03-07-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado66 View Post
Spokes, thank you for reply and offer. I'll give it a shot without the screw and see how sloppy it gets. If nothing else I suppose I could make something up now that you explained the function.
Being new here I dont want to be asking for parts but do appreiate the offer
My CA95 was built out of gifts from forum members.
Unread 03-07-2014, 10:17 AM

And you are already using good products (Eastwood). The satisfaction of doing your own paint is worth the time and effort. I'd say go for it.
Unread 03-07-2014, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'll go for it and paint it myself.

I didn't realize you could get mixed paint in spray cans. Now I'll check into the two part paint at the local store.

Does anyone have a color match or number for the white?

Thank you!
Unread 03-07-2014, 06:33 PM

You can choose any good white, even from Eastwood. I've chosen to paint my next CA95 with the Duplicolor single stage mixed in the can lacquer system. Silver base coat, self mixed cream trim color (from Y & W) and the Candy Orange with the gloss clear. That bike is "Tangerine Dream". I hope it turns out.
Once the decks are clear this spring it should go together.
The tank in the pic is just gloss Rustoleum. I thought it flowed out nicely for a spray can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1392.jpg (259.6 KB, 7 views)
Unread 03-08-2014, 05:59 PM

LFM - Thanks for that, I haven't checked into the local paint store yet but if they cant mix paint to a rattle can I'll give the Duplicolor a try. Read up on it and it and had good reviews.

I'm starting to recover the seat and could use some help please
The seat that came with the bike didn't have the chrome trim so I bought one off ebay that was listed as a CA95 seat with the chrome.

Comparing the two side by side there are differences and wonder if I bought the wrong seat or if the one that came with the bike might have been replaced with the wrong seat in the first place.
It appears the one that came with the bike had already been recovered.

The one on the top in the picture below came with the bike

The one on the right in the picture below was with the bike. Notice the frame is bent.
It's also smaller and has three screw studs vs. the one on the larger frame for the strap.

Left side is original, right is the one recently purchased with the chrome trim seat.
Which of these seats is correct for the CA95?... thank you!
Unread 03-08-2014, 07:14 PM

Both seat frames may be correct for your bike. I would harvest the springs and hog clips from the rusty and bent frame and toss it.

Strip out the replacement seat to just metal and check the fit on the bike. Straighten it if need be. Don't fuss about the one or three mounts on the frame. The replacement strap will need only one hole per side anyway, even IF you use the three hole mount.

I suggest buying this cover already sewn http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CA92-C...fa4561&vxp=mtr

The chrome trim has little chance of being removed correctly. I hope you can as I could not...and no longer try. If you go into my albums and check out my seats, the chrome is 3M Chrome Adhesive Automotive Trim. Yep! It look the same and sticks to the new vinyl for years. Use good automotive seat foam and buy an electric carving knife to sculpture the foam before adding the cover.

About painting. DupliColor paint will melt when exposed to gas. Once again, not to show off my builds, but to use them as an example of what can be done. The bike below was painted with a $99.00 Craftsman compressor and a $15 Harbor Freight touch up gun. I used a $5.00 in line air dryer as well. The paint is Acrylic Enamel with hardener & reducer. I built paint stands and used a cheap box fan to exhaust the overspray. So for a little more money you get good results and keep the tools.

Last edited by Spokes; 03-09-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Unread 03-12-2014, 09:10 AM

After fitting both of these seats the smaller one appears to be the correct one and the other for the larger Dream. The front of the seats where they meet the gas tank are the biggest difference.
If I were to use the larger seat there would be a gap between it and the tank. Whereas the smaller seat fits snuggly to the tank.
So I ordered the CA95 seat cover and after fitting it realized they must have sent the wrong one. It's just way too big and the whole thing fits easily over the back to front of the metal seat prongs. Also the word "HONDA" on the back sits way to low as it should be centered.
I'd say it's a whole 3" too long. Am trying to return for correct size or refund. Will see. I may just end up having this seat upholstered by a shop.
I was able to get the trim piece off and salvage all the nuts/bolts but will not be able to use that on the smaller seat. I like your work around spokes and will give that 3M chrome strip a try. After taking it apart I can see how much of a pain it will be putting a new one on.
This leads me to another issue or question. I seem to be getting a few incorrect parts or parts that don't fit.
The parts catalog showed this throttle cable as the correct part number but I don't see where this chromed curved piece threads into the handle bars. Can someone confirm this is the correct throttle cable for a late CA95?
Tried looking at other pictures on here and didn't see anyone having this cable.

As always, I appreciate the feedback/guidance.
Thank you
Unread 03-12-2014, 12:31 PM

The throttle cable shown is for the early CA95 with an external throttle assembly. You most likely have the internal slide throttle.
Unread 03-28-2014, 04:44 PM

We're supposed to have 70+ temps this weekend so I think it's time to paint this puppy
Never did this before so a little nervous.
Picked up a sprayer and the paint today. All the parts are primed and wet sanded with 500 grit.
Wish me luck and I welcome any advise before I get started.

While I've been waiting for temps to raise for painting I got a few other parts polished and ready

I do have a question on the rear wheel assembly
When I tore this bike down it didn't have the rear seal shown in this picture nor a collar. I found what I think was the right seal from the parts catalog and collar but not sure if the late model bikes got the collar or not?

I'm not confident the parts catalog I have is that accurate or complete so would love to hear from you guys if this looks correct

It's not flush with the seal as I'd expected so questioning if the collar might have only been used on earlier models?.

As always I appreciate the responses and guidance
Unread 03-29-2014, 02:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Nice polishing job! I know how much time that takes, and your results are great.

If you did it correctly, you should have polishing grit embedded in your hair.
Unread 03-29-2014, 04:30 AM

The spacer in the sprocket hub is correct. It extends out a bit and rides against the chain adjuster. Nice job!
Unread 03-29-2014, 06:53 AM

+1 on the nice work.
Your paint set up is just like mine, watch your pressures and test your patterns on some big pieces of cardboard (you can use just solvent and the CB shows the pattern). Don't be afraid to practice on something else and build your technique.
You'll be happy you did this in the end...
L
Unread 03-29-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheLake View Post
Nice polishing job! I know how much time that takes, and your results are great.

If you did it correctly, you should have polishing grit embedded in your hair.
It's like grecian formula, no more grey hair!!
Unread 03-31-2014, 05:31 AM

Default welcome

welcome doug to the forum.i live 700 miles north of you in canada.this is a great site for information and just bike talk....welcome...rob