FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Aprilia Mille RSVR - 1st Generation

Unread 12-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Splitting the Headlight Enclosure

Why? Well my headlight was already broken from the lowside crash. The bulbs had shattered or pulled right out the back of the ABS plastic houising so it was pretty trashed. I could salvage it if I wanted to but that would take a couple hours of work... or if I put an HID light in it then that would be easier actually because you don't even need the high beams. Hmmm. Anyhow here are the pictures I took while I split the headlight enclosure. Enjoy.

Unread 12-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Admin

It was much easier to start at the top and work my way around the sides and down to the bottom which is the hardest part for sure. Putting the whole thing in the oven might be a good technique but I just grabbed my industrial heatgun, turned on the radio and went to work. It was pretty agonizing. But I conquered.

And the bottom part. As you can see chewed up pretty bad but then you don't see this at all from the outside of the bike so I didn't care. It took a long time. :\
Unread 12-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Admin

The plastic is pretty strong and I opted to just take my time instead of sticking it in the oven and possible warping it. Now I can clean it out easily and put it back together someday when the time comes. Was it worth it? I dunno. But maybe if someone needs to do this in the future these pix might help.