FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Website News & Updates > Additional Projects Area

Unread 03-28-2013, 07:01 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default 2001 DRZ400E Carb Tuning & Repair

Yes I know I need to start a dirt bike section on the forum. I will be doing that soon but until now I'm just listing this for the record so I can get my notes down and the links that I use posted for reference.

A good friend of mine acquired a Suzuki DRZ400 that was ridden only a handful of times and stored for years. It hadn't been used in a long time and we found out why. The bike ran but it wouldn't take off very fast at all but it would rip out of your hands when you got on the top of the rpm powerband. The accelerator pump rod was completely missing! What the heck? What is wrong with people working on their bikes and completely leaving out parts when they put them back together? Just my luck.

So anyhow the part is on national backorder through the Suzuki and Kawasaki parts network and they don't exist in inventory anywhere so we are stuck waiting on a new one. I expect to be waiting another 2-3 weeks on the part. In the meantime I have the carb on my bench for inspection.
Unread 03-28-2013, 07:04 AM
Admin

I've heard of the DRZ400 being very desirable among the mature thumper offroad crowd. This bike is a 2001 which is a little older but it came with electric start. There were three models of DRZ400 - one which was kick start only. The DRZ400E came with headlight, taillight and an electric start only. And the DRZ400S which is the street legal electric start version. This bike was picked up for a cool thousand dollars which is about half price in my opinion. The bike might even be worth even more because it's hardly scratched and I would be surprised if it had more than 30 hours of riding time. This bike should last forever once we fix a couple things and tune it up some more.
Unread 03-28-2013, 07:07 AM
Admin

Upon searching around for carb parts I stumbled upon a lot of handy links. It turns out that these bike do have quite a fan following. Here are a few links to sites that contain a lot of discussion and tips to help tune and optimize the Keihin FCR carb on Suzukis in particular. There is a lot of helpful knowledge out there! These are a few links I'll be keeping.

And I can't believe the bling and fat rubber on all of these supermoto Suzuki bikes. These things make me drool and get all sorts of ideas!