FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > LEXUS 1UZ-FE Engine Swap

LEXUS 1UZ-FE Engine Swap My blood sweat and tears. It will be worth it!!

Unread 11-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Well I ordered a contact SET for my starter and got 1 contact in the bag... I guess a set is half of the contacts to Toyota, yay. So when I went back my parts hookup told me how much a new starter AND power steering pump would be so I went for it. When you get them new from Carquest they are guaranteed for life so since they are so important I did it for peace of mind.

Now I'm moving onto the injectors. Some interesting pics to come.
Unread 12-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Admin

Here is the new starter and power steering pump for my 1UZ. Nice and new with nothing to worry about. I had to change over the reservoir to the new PS pump which was no big deal. They even included a couple rubber o-rings which was nice because those leak as well. If anyone has any leakage from their PS pump make sure and change out the wimpy little o-ring that seals the reservoir to the pump itself. They come apart pretty quick and I never thought about taking them apart before to check that seal.

I assumed the make leakage was from the main pulley seal but looking at the o-ring it could have been from there.

Unread 12-31-2006, 10:49 AM
Admin

Now I need a power steering pump solenoid. Mine was broken during shipping/engine removal. I could probably rig it back together with some plastic weld but if I'm on a trip somewhere and the sucker cracks loose I would be screwed. I think I have one located from someone parting an engine out. They are a couple hundred off the shelf =\

Unread 01-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Admin

I got a PS pump solenoid that is in very good condition as well as a couple of newer knock sensors. Mine were damaged so as long as I have some that are in good condition they should last a long time. Boy it feels good to almost have everything I need now.
Unread 07-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Admin

Alrighty I have had a couple emails asking about the power steering lines that I made up so I'm going to post right now about this to help clear some things up for people who haven't done this before.

The point at which I put my power steering pump on my 1UZ engine swap can be found in my long 1UZ engine swap thread here.

It's a pretty specialized deal to get a new one made properly. I spent a couple days figuring mine out and had to do a lot of asking around to find the right help. You basically get what pump you are using (mine was lexus sc/ls400 obviously) and then your rack. Then you MUST use the fittings from the stock fluid lines that came with each unit from the factory. If you are getting a pump from a Chevy and a Rack from a different vehicle from a wrecking yard GRAB THE LINES that connect to each one. It's a HUGE hassle to find the adapters and fittings for these specialized applications - especially if they aren't GM or Ford!
Unread 07-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Admin

So once you have your hose ends in hand you need to adapt them to a new standard hose size which you can have cut to length. This way you will have your custom length and if the hose gets damaged from wheelin' you can easily go and get another one. And of course since you have standard hose ends you can just go BUY a hose length that already had standard hose fittings on it! You don't have to have a custom hose pressed together. They have hoses hanging on the wall or sitting on the shelf at equipment dealers or diesel repair shops.

The trick is finding the right dude to help or the right shop to weld together standard hose fittings to your applications metric fittings. That's why when you see mine you will notice that they are composed of the factory fittings with standard hose fittings welded to them.

I'll post some more pictures of that process soon. :]