FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 09-14-2009, 03:14 PM

Hey sixtyfive,
I saw that picture a while ago and showed my 17 year old son, he also thinks that bike is awesome. He is trying to get me to do that to a white 305 that I bought. Um the 305, in case your wondering, NEEDS HELP! That is a major winter project. It is in solid condition as far as body, some light surface rust, but something is definitely up with the kick starter, and it looks like someone left it out in their back yard for many years lol. I originally wanted a white sixtyfive so I am a bit envious of your bike, um, ( minus the engine issues lol.) And Smithers, I guess I should probably tell you the WHOLE story, see, my husband, he does NOTHING quickly! So, that is why I am concerned about him taking my engine apart. I don't know if it is a GUY thing, but I have to tell you, woman are better multi taskers lol. I made the mistake of letting him "restore" my 1939 Chevy. It was already done, but the person who did it, didn't do a very good job so my husband thought, oh lets just do a color change, (Do I even need to say anymore?) now, my car is in 1000 different pieces, and his crap is being stacked on top of it. So, about that 150, and not wanting to put it back in after riding it with the 160 in it? LOL, the 160 will be ready for a rebuild before I get that 150 back into that bike LOL.
Unread 09-14-2009, 03:21 PM

Default Who's blue bike?

Those pipes are very interesting, wouldn't your leg get a little warm? and if you have plastic side covers, wouldn't they melt? Speaking of that, I bought some metal side covers off ebay. I didn't realize that the 150's came with metal side covers???
Unread 09-14-2009, 03:37 PM

305 Dreams are awesome, and nearly impossible to find out here. I would love to have one of those someday.

Envious of my bike? But yours is absolutely gorgeous. Mine's more of a "20 footer", you get closer and can see some flaws. But I was pleased with my spray-paint handiwork. It looked nowhere near what it looks like now, especially when I redid the tank. It was all dirty and the paint was yellowed. Now it looks like a "nice original".........nobody has to know, lol.

And, the "Guy Thing"? Sounds like my father, with two MG's taken apart, and we're currently doing two CA95's from the six that we have. I chose the white one as mine 'cuz it was the most complete. And now I have to swap the motor on mine, so that makes three.

I expect all of this to take an eternity.
Unread 09-14-2009, 03:52 PM

There was actually what appeared to be a pretty decent 305 Dream on Craigslist for $900. If I had anywhere near $900, I probably would've went to look at it. But I'm broke. I also missed out on a 305 Superhawk for $1000 that actually ran and was in pretty decent shape. A Superhawk!

I seriously need to learn how to budget and save money, lol.
Unread 09-14-2009, 05:28 PM

Default This is what I ORIGINALLY wanted..... but ......

Well sixtyfive, this is a picture of the bike I ALMOST bought. Problem being, they wouldn't come down $300.00 and I wasn't about to pay $3800.00 for it. My limit was $3500.00, not a penny more. It was in NJ and I would have to ship it for $600 and that was really getting into more money. So I finally told the guys, no thanks, and bought my bike for $1600.

Last edited by KellieLyne; 03-10-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Unread 09-14-2009, 05:56 PM

$3800 for one of these things is nuts. I've seen beautiful 305 dreams for that kind of money on ebay. I like these bikes, but I couldn't see spending any more than the $1600 that you spent. A CA95 is something that you're supposed to ride an have fun on. They haven't caught or become desireable enough to warrant a nearly four grand price tag, even if it's practically showroom new.

Even with the engine issues, you got a much, much better deal.
Unread 09-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Yeah there is NO WAY it's worth that much. I've seen absolutely beautiful ones for sale in the midwest for $1200-$1500. And I mean these things were perfect. That's about the price I'm thinking they are worth. I wouldn't sell mine for $2,000 though. I would maybe think about $4,000. I almost don't know if I want to change the tires on it ever. They are original so I don't think I ever will. I'll just stop riding it if they wear down any more. I would rather fix up my CB72 and ride that around! The 160 is almost just to look at nowadays.

I let go of a perfect Honda S90 when I was a Junior in high school and I regret it. The adult who bought it from me sold it instantly and sent it to Japan. What a jerk!
Unread 09-15-2009, 08:51 AM

Mine has one of the original Ohtsu tires up front, but it's so bad that I'll have to put another one on before I actually ride it. I bought a nice ribbed Cheng Shin for $20 at a swap meet that has just the right look. The one in the back is a Yokohama that's period-correct, but I think that somebody put that on later. Most of these bikes came with Ohtsus front/rear.

I really wish I had an S90! Those are so cool. And the best part is that there are a few Chinese companies that make knock offs of the old Honda engine design that can be retrofitted to them. And they don't cost much.
Unread 09-15-2009, 09:13 AM

There was an S90 project bike on Craigslist not far from where I live for $150but I already have two bikes as it is, and don't have $150 sitting around to buy another one. But I sure wish I did.
Unread 09-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Admin

Ah you missed out! I would have grabbed that thing.
Unread 09-15-2009, 05:43 PM

My funds are limited. There's another one on there in my area for $200 that sound even better than the first one.

Plus, I have a 160 to rebuild now that my 150 is toast.
Unread 09-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Admin

Oh boy this is definitely another thread we can start! LOL
I mean unfinished projects AND another thread for hot Craigslist deals! Fun to window shop.
Unread 09-15-2009, 07:47 PM

Default Restore.....

Well Smithers, I tried the restore, and drove it for a couple of days a little here and there, still smokes, but, I did find something, a few metal parts in my oil. It made the oil look like metallic paint. Looks like I will be doing a complete rebuild on that motor. Anyways my new motor was shipped out today, and it's ETA is the 21st. About the once wished for bike, yeah they were asking too much. That bike eventually sold for $3650. <shrug> I guess somebody wanted it bad enough. I do like my black 150 now that I have it. I think, I would have been worried about riding the white one. You know, afraid of scratching it or something happening to it. But my husband said, well the white one probably doesn't smoke lol. Oh well, hopefully it will be a quick and somewhat low cost problem. I already have valves, pistons, rings, and a full gasket set. And Smithers..... what good is it if you don't ride it?????? That is something that I have decided, whatever I get, I'm going to RIDE IT! You know about two months ago, I didn't have a thought in my head about a Honda Dream, I didn't even know about them. I just stumbled upon one, and next thing you knew, I had one lol.
Unread 09-21-2009, 06:41 PM

Default Help!!!!

Hey, anybody know where I can obtain the bottom plate of a 160 motor, where the oil drain plug goes? Apparently when this motor was shipped that was damaged. Where on earth would I find one of those?
Unread 09-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Admin

You can't grind it down and make it look better? Did it end up getting cracked or completely broken? Sorry to hear the guy didn't really package the engine up that well for shipping. That's annoying.