FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 03-03-2011, 12:29 PM

Default CA95 or Benly

Hi All,

Newbie here...thinking about buying a 63' CA95. Don't know how to tell the differece between a Benly or a regular CA95. Can someone please explain? The VIN number of the bike I may buy is CA95E3105XXX if this helps.

Junie
Unread 03-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Hey there, welcome. The CA95 is the Honda code for the model of motorcycle. The Benly 150 is just the name they were given because people don't like saying CA95. For example the classic Honda Superhawk 250 is model: CB72. And the Superhawk 305 is a CB77. See how that works? So the Benly 150 is a CA95.

The Honda Dream 250 and Dream 305 are models CA72 and CA77. It's funny if you aren't used to it. So when you read your engine number it starts with CA95. But on the tank it says Honda 150. I don't know where the Benly came from. Maybe it's a racing term they used from the past or something. I hope I get some help on this here. What do you say guys?
Unread 03-03-2011, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the info Smithers. Would be interesting to know where the name "Benly" comes from. Hopefully one of the other members can provide this information.

Junie
Unread 03-04-2011, 08:57 AM

Hi again Smithers,

I just noticed that you are located in San Luis Obispo. I brought my 1952 Triumph Thunderbird to the motorcycle show that they had there last year. I live in the Monterey area.

In addition to the Triumph, I have a 1953 Matchless G80S, a 1967 Aermacchi 250SS and a 1967 Aermacchi 250H. Been thinking it might be time to add a Japanese bike to the stable.

Junie
Unread 03-04-2011, 09:49 PM

Go to:
http://www.obxmotorcycle.com/hondacyclehistory.html

It will explain the origin of the Dream model and the Benly name. These names go back to the beginning of Honda.
Unread 03-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Junie: Yeahp these classic bikes are a sickness! A friend of mine has collected many projects to restore and he's actually working very hard on them.... Ducatis, Triumphs etc etc. It blows my mind how some guys buy bikes until they absolutely can't fit anymore into the garage! My dad has quite the collection I'm not sure how I'll deal with the whole lot when the time comes someday down the road. :/

Spokes: Great reading buddy. I'm going to have to work on posting some more historical contents for reference! I remember watching a classic Honda video when I was a kid. I could probably locate it if I put my mind to it. It was property of one of my dads friends who actually started a Honda dealership up on the coast that was half restoration shop! It lasted a few years... this was a while ago. The video showed some Honda fellas doing R & D on Black Bombers and other bikes in large refrigerators and out in the elements. It was amazing to me as a kid seeing them thrashing all the bikes my dad spent hours and hours restoring and being so careful with.