FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Honda Dream CA160

Honda Dream CA160 The old black horse

Unread 06-15-2013, 04:05 PM

Default Speedometer issue

Happy Father's Day to all.

I have only posted once before, but have been getting a lot of good info from the forum, which is a wealth of information. Attached is a pic of my 1969 CA160. She was sitting in a man's garage when I found her and I have broken her down moderately to clean her and polish away 40 years of oxidation. I have changed both tires which were dryrotted; recovered the seat, which was torn; changed the plugs, adjusted the points; cleaned and rebuilt the carburator and petcock; and added mirrors. I don't want to do a complete rebuild at this point as she has cleaned up very well and is only original once.

My problem at hand is with the speedometer. When I replaced the front tire, other than cleaning the speedometer drive gear box, I did not disconnect or tinker with it in any way. When I took it for a test drive the speedometer went to 90 (when doing about 30) and made a bad whirling noise.
Question: when I take the tire off and inspect the drive gear box, what type of damage should I be looking for, if any? The gear box looked like a rotor type design. If the damage is in the drive gear box, will it be noticable to inspection? Will it more likely be the cable only or could I have effected the speedometer as well. Is there something I failed to line up or do when I installed the tire?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA160-20.jpg (474.2 KB, 3 views)
Unread 06-15-2013, 04:51 PM

Hey Dustmite,
I could be several things but I'd suspect the actual speedo. There are some engagement dogs in the drive box at the wheel and usually if that is slipping the reading be low.
The jump to 90 tells me its internal to the speedo.
I'm in central Fl so if you need more help let me know...
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:44 AM

I agree with Larz. I have a speedo with the same issue. I wanted to tell the forum members that I hit 110mph on my CA160 at the time.....

There is a small tension coil inside the speedometer that corrodes. When it breaks, the unit is gone.

You can find speedometers rather easy. The 1964-65 CA95 units will fit the CA160.
Unread 06-16-2013, 04:52 AM

Thanks to both of you for the response. I will start up top and hopefully not have to take off the wheel after all.
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:44 AM

By the way, did anyone else see the Benly currently on E-bay in NJ?
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:16 AM

Get pushed out of airplane did you Spokes?....
@DM... Put the bike on the center stand, disconnect the cable at the speedo. Spin the front wheel and observe the cable at the now exposed speedo end. If the cable is turning and not jumping around the drive box is probably just fine. Now is a good time to lube the drive cable anyway...
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:54 PM

Took the speedo off, spun the wheel and the cable turned fine. Took it for a ride around the block and no noise. Put the speedo back on and whirl returned. So I guess I am buying a Taiwanese speedometer. Looking at them I see I will lose the high beam indicator light. The bright side is it looks like I will be able to go 140 mph instead of 90.
Thanks for all the input.
Unread 06-16-2013, 01:11 PM

Please be careful... many of the overseas units read in KPH not MPH.... just sayin.
Unread 06-16-2013, 02:14 PM

I learned that the road is tougher than I am in my youth. 50 is tops for me and on very rare occasions. Got no place to go in a hurry anymore.
Unread 06-16-2013, 04:29 PM

Just a quick follow up on the speedo.
I didn't know they could be taken apart and cleaned. Looked at Spokes pictures and other thread on how to do so. Took it apart gingerly and the worm gears were frozen. Soaked with solvent for awhile and turned the speedo with my drill and a square tipped bit that was the size of the cable. Everything finally cleared and started moving. Partially reassembled and put back on bike and works fine. No whirling noise. Will clean some more and lube. Any thoughts on the type of lube I should put on it?
Thanks again for all the help. Certainly didn't want the foreign speedo.
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:34 AM

In all actuality they are all foreign speedometers...