FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 10-21-2009, 06:04 PM

Question Sources? Engine rebuild & gasket kits

Hello all,

Currently rebuilding a 150cc CA95 motor (60's).

What are the best sources for engine rebuild parts - pistons, gasket kits, etc. other than ebay.

On ebay are the Thailand parts reliable, quality parts or is it buyer beware?

Thanks,
gp
Unread 10-22-2009, 07:23 AM

Stay out of Taiwan! seriously though, the parts are cheap but many are cheaply made and won't work without modification.

http://www.ohiocycle.com/
that is a great place to visit.

http://www.bikebandit.com/
I've heard this place is good but i didn't care for it...

Ebay is my personal favorite for parts
Unread 10-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Hi GP,

I've never had a problem with buying parts from Thailand EXCEPT for trying to figure out if the parts in question as a real Honda part of aftermarket. There a billions of aftermarket parts out there and many of them are totally fine. But if you want authentic Honda made parts like mirrors, chains, fenders and side covers they are hard to get new. A lot of sellers from Thailand sell these aftermarket and place them on Honda packaging in the pictures trying to trick you. Their wording is horrible and misleading at times. And it's been impossible to get money back for a lot of people. They just act like they can't communicate with you once the transaction is done and they have your payment. But if you ask them questions before they get your money they will be more than happy to tell you anything to make the sale happen.

They live comfortably with the fact that they offer a refund or exchange IF you return your items to them. But of course the fact is that its so much of a hassle to send it back and so costly that most people won't go through the hassle.

AND BE CAREFUL that you act FAST if you decide you want a refund or you want to cancel the auction in the event that you feel you are being sold something that is not authentic. I won an auction based on a false description. I then told myself I better ask the Thai seller if the auction was made by Honda Co. like the auction description said. He just responded something like "authentic new stock part" of some BS like that. They love using weird terms instead of answering the question "no". They won't tell you no. And they always will tell you that they will refund the money soon but instruct you not to do anything because the money will be sent back faster or whatever. They do this so you fall out of the 30 day period in which you have to demand your money back through Paypal or Ebay. They will stall, answer your questions late and give you excuses to get this time to expire. Just be careful.

The BEST way to buy ANYTHING that you are worried about or that you think might be questionable on Ebay? Use a credit card. Paypal don't do hardly anything for protecting buyers on Ebay but they are really really good at taking your transaction fees. Add a credit card to your Paypal and when you checkout and use the Paypal to complete the transaction be careful to actually select the credit card because by default it will use your debit card - they make more money this way. Then if you need to get a refund Paypal won't do jack for you but you call up your credit card company and they will do it on demand. It's a good idea to request Paypal refund the transaction but they will probably not but at least you made the effort in case your credit card company asks you.

I have a few friends that only do credit cards with Ebay as they have been screwed a few times - and they are educated and careful people that have been scammed and are tired of Paypal not doing a damn thing to help.

Here is a handful of parts if got from Thailand once. The aftermarket gaskets worked fine. The valves and rings are aftermarket and they all worked just fine. There are companies in the US and Canada that sell seal kits. I was able to find an original Honda seal kit - they are still out there and come up on Ebay from time to time. There are companies that sell seal kits for old Hondas but I haven't found a kit that they make for the CA95 so Thailand is the way to go for those - unless you get lucky and find a Honda kit on Ebay.

Calling Ohio Cycle is always the best place to start. They've been selling old bike stuff for as long as I can remember.

Unread 11-14-2009, 02:46 PM

I just grabbed this off ebay. Got everything all at once!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120490322038
Unread 11-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Not bad at all. That saves some hassle for sure and less shipping all together.
Unread 12-04-2009, 12:28 PM

buy a whole engine Ill sell it to you cheap let me know!!!