FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > 1UZ-FE Tuning and Mods

1UZ-FE Tuning and Mods Adaptronic, porting, air intake and more.

Unread 11-14-2006, 11:27 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I have much larger tires so my odometer doesn't read the actual miles. I have the 2.7 4wd and love it. For off-road it's awesome and you will not need more power unless you put much larger tires on it, get stuck hauling all your friends camping gear to Mexico or build a LOT more suspension travel which allows your truck to drive over bumps very fast (which is my case and now I'm building a turbo system : )

Don't buy a 4cyl and think you are going to save a lot on gas unless you keep it completely stock. If you want to haul a trailer or bedloads of heavy tools get the 6cyl. If you live in an area with LA traffic or lots of hills get the 6cyl. Otherwise get the 2.7L and you will be happy, people will think you are very smart and all the people with 6cyl trucks will wish they had your 4 banger.

Personally I'm VERY happy with my engine as I have beat it for years without any major problems. It's easier to work on and has fewer parts to fail. I have shocked many people by opening up my hood after they have seen my truck in action. I meet up with people who assume my engine is a tricked out 6cyl only to realize it's a 4cyl which has never been opened up =]
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Admin

Here is some advice I posted on another forum. I thought I would update the topic here as well.

------------------------------------------

DON'T BUY the 4cylinder Taco if you think you're going to get way better MPG... it's not worth it. I've had the 4cyl 3RZ for years (that you have to shift when the wind goes against you) and have watched my friends drive around effortlessly with their V6 power. And if you are putting larger tires on the 4cyl you surely have to regear or you will really be miserable. Only buy a 4cyl if you are getting a hell of a deal. Your foot will be into that gas pedal much more than if you were driving a 6cyl and that just throw more gas into the fire. You won't hardly save any money at all.
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Admin

I revved the living shiz out of my 3RZ. Just run synthetic oil and that engine will last forever. It also helped to have LC Engineering headers and a custom made intake but that's all I had. The redline is like 5,700 rpm or something which is ridiculously low so I would bounce it off the rev limiter just holding the throttle pinned in the dunes. The engine never skipped a beat. People would ask me if I had a supercharged V6 in it and it would make me laugh. They seriously had to be shown the little 4cyl by popping the hood before they would believe me. The key to having a fast truck in the sand is to keep it as lightweight as possible and airing down to like 10-12 lbs.

The 3RZ is a SUPER strong engine. I have seem more head gasket failures on those engines due to heat recently. And you know why? I swear the the problem is because of the amount of heat that the stock iron manifold retains. It's like have a red hot log bolted to the side of the engine and I know this is what is causing the gasket failures in older, high-mileage trucks. Plus the stock heat sheilds that cover them contribute as well. I ran mine like a banshee for years and my big thing is that I design the exhaust to evacuate any heat as fast as possible to help with engine cooling. I run in the sand when I'm offroad so heat is a very large obstacle because you are running low speeds with the engine wide open. Anyhow the 3RZ is a super strong running engine. But of course you put some steel bumpers on the front and back... put some steel steps and side protection on it... and put on some 33's and the trucks speed will be cut in half.

Both the 4cyl and the 6cly are super strong engines. You can't keep those Toyotas down. They run a super long time if you change the oil regularly, the trans oil every now and then and change the diff fluid every 50K as well. The problem is that people neglect their transmission oil service and never change the diff oil. Then you are just asking for it. Do those things when you should, or even more often and you won't ever have a problem under normal use. My 3RZ Taco is a 1996, had been owned by a very abusive off-roader before I got it at 100K miles and now it must have over 300K and I have always rev limited it almost everyday that I drove it. I broke one rear diff from abuse, and someone used my truck and broke reverse by doing something stupid.
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Admin

Check out the videos of me red lining my Tacoma past the camera here on this thread:

http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=44

I mean the truck DOES move down the road pretty good up until 50mph but after that the fun just kind of falls off with the acceleration.