FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 10-13-2013, 07:58 AM

Default Kickstand woes

One question I have for anyone with those Thailand aftermarket tailpipes...do those tailpipes get in the way of the kickstand or is it just me?

I usually have to make sure I'm wearing my riding gloves after riding the CA95 (as to not burn myself), so I can get off the bike, bend down, and reach up and pull the kickstand down by hand since the tailpipe is over the kickstand. I don't remember how it was with the original tailpipes, but thanks for any info! I figured if I try selling this bike, the next owner may wonder what the world is up with that.
Unread 10-13-2013, 04:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

I bought my exhaust parts from Thailand and they seem to work fine. I don't use the kickstand, but it's there. Given the width of the muffler, it's difficult to get the kickstand down while sitting on the bike. If standing along side the bike, it's no issue. I use the center stand almost all the time, so the side stand is mostly cosmetic for me.

I looked through my pictures and the one below is the only one that shows the side stand against the muffler. It touches the muffler, but I don't hear any rattling.

Unread 10-14-2013, 04:29 AM

Wow, can't say I'm not terribly surprised, but I think my aftermarket Thai pipes are different than your aftermarket Thai pipes!

It looks like yours have more a bell shape once that straight section hits the muffler part, while mine don't balloon out as much. I will take a look more closely this weekend at mine though, maybe my kickstand has a weak spring and is pulled back more or something. Thanks for the info.

I tend to avoid the center stand unless I'm parking the CA95 in heavy winds, I'm a little guy and for some reason the center stand can be a pain to push down and to push back up. I usually have to hold the front brake and pull the bike up after several attempts it will finally go up on the center stand. Then pushing it down it almost feels like I'm gonna drop the bike, so that's usually why I've gone with the kickstand.

Also as a side BytheLake, I like your aluminum polishing skills. I tried polishing my points cover like yours, but all I could find was a small dremel kit and some polisher's brown compound, and various sandpaper grits. It works, takes a while, but doesn't get the near factory finish look you obtain. What's your secret of where I can buy a good buffing tool???
Unread 10-14-2013, 12:19 PM

Since the side stand has an 'arm' that sticks out to make it reachable, perhaps you could add a short 'arm' on the kick stand that sticks out beyond the muffler. That way it could be reached more easily from the sitting position. Just a thought.

My aluminum polishing work uses basic tools, but the real heavy work is performed by a 7 inch cotton buffing wheel mounted on my bench grinder. I used a different wheel for each type of abrasive. It still takes a little time, but the buffing wheel makes it a lot easier and faster.

Unread 10-19-2013, 10:37 AM

Thanks, I don't have a bench grinder but I see these things are made for drills as well. I'll look into it.

I checked out my kickstand this weekend. The spring on it pulls it back just enough that I goes right under the tailpipe. There is some slack, and if I pull it out, the kickstand is accessible. I'll mess with it and see what I get, maybe I had the spring in a weird position or something.
Unread 10-26-2013, 04:57 PM

I think I may have a clue as to why my kickstand is so odd - some PO dropped the bike seriously hard on the right side once upon a time (don't know the story, just seen the evidence), and the right footpeg is pushed up a little ways. I tried using a table vice to bend it back, but those footpegs are tough metal! Perhaps that's a clue as to why my kickstand is shifted weird underneath the muffler.

I don't think buying a new spring would solve anything?
Unread 10-27-2013, 04:00 AM

Could you include a picture of the foot rest? Viewed from the front, the foot rest will have a slight upward angle.
Unread 10-27-2013, 05:23 AM

Yup, even these little bikes get dropped. If you haven't remove the cross bar and use some leverage to get things where they need to be. Applying some heat to the bend may also be required.
Unread 11-02-2013, 12:01 PM

I tried adding pics, but I have a security token missing, not sure what that means...
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjejenskille View Post
I tried adding pics, but I have a security token missing, not sure what that means...
I think it means that you're insecure. Ok, just kidding.

This forum uses vBulletin software, and that error message can occur if you're attempting to upload a file that is too large. Try resizing the photo to something smaller, like 800x600 pixels, and see if that helps.

Last edited by ByTheLake; 11-06-2013 at 02:27 AM.

Tags
kickstand, tailpipe