FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 06-07-2011, 07:50 AM

Default electrical problem

Near as I can tell from a day and a half of test driving, when I run the bike with my headlights on, it starts to sputter and stalls out in much the same way as when I have run out of a charge on my battery (boil over once and let it sit too long another time). It does not burn out the lights like when that happens and is ready to run again in about a minute. I've run it with out the headlight (driven it back and forth to work twice) and no issues. The battery's voltage is reading right where it needs to be.
I am running the thai replacement bulbs that are only 15 watts.
After knowing absolutely nothing about bike electrical, but reading this forum, I am guessing one of the stators that is supposed to engage is not. I am wondering about a short in the headlight circuit, but am thinking it would not act like this.
How do I test this, fix this? Any other ideas?
Thanks
Unread 06-07-2011, 07:10 PM

Go for the simple things first.

Check the ground strap. If you have the original one it may be getting bad and/or the ground side attached to the frame may be rusty.

Do you have metal or plastic side covers? The metal battery cover could be real close to the + side of the battery.

Of course, clean connections which I'm sure you have.

What kind of battery do you have? There are two types that I have seen. One type is a yellow case that sells for cheap. Batteries Plus sells a great heavy duty battery. You get what you pay for, a cheap battery will drain real fast. Oh yes..Is the battery over a year old? These bikes are hard on batteries.

Being that the bike recovers in a few minutes make me think it might be the battery. Just a suggestion at this point.
Unread 06-07-2011, 08:52 PM

Ground strap is in great shape, no corrosion, all strands intact. Metal covers and they clamp all the way down with no issues. There is not extra space between the bike and cover.
The battery is about three months old but I have been cruising 5 times a week. Once, the level did get half way down, but I refilled it and didn't even need to charge it to reach proper voltage. It was not expensive, thirty bucks or so, but batteries plus couldn't tell me which battery to buy so I bought it online. I'll check the brand, but the voltage has not one read wrong.
I have a sealed battery in the garage that is six volt, I'll put that in and check it out sometime this week.
Thanks. I'll update