FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 09-22-2009, 12:01 PM

I have no idea where you'd find one of those besides maybe ebay, but CA160 parts are few and far between. You'd probably have better luck looking for it as a CB160 part, since the bottom cases are identical and there's a lot more CB160 stuff out there.

I hope you're not talking about the crankcase itself, because that would suck.
Unread 09-22-2009, 12:03 PM

Default ruined

nope, it is broken.....broken.......broken......and broken......4 separate pieces, sort of hard to hold the oil in with broken parts. I did find one... in EUROPE lol, how long do you think that will take to get here??? Guess I won't be riding until next spring. Whatta drag.
Unread 09-22-2009, 12:10 PM

I'm guessing that you mean the skid plate.
Unread 09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Well there are enough Honda 160's out there to give you hope. It's not like it's a rare bike or anything. When I see a couple parts on Ebay being sold by a person I always ask if they have other parts. And I always throw in an offer for the part they have before they reveal a price. Chances are always good that they want more than you want to pay. And of course since it's a kinda rare part to see listed on eBay I would ask them to sell it for like $35 shipped. It's well worth that but that price actually makes it worth their while to throw it in a box and put an address on it.

I wonder if they are the same design as the Benly 150. Then you would have a much broader market to choose from. Take a look and compare them.
Unread 09-22-2009, 05:53 PM

Default Lets see if this works

this is the part that I need, it is the actual plate that the oil drain plug screws into. You see the solid black gasket at the bottom, it is the plate directly below that. I did find one lol in EUROPE! A woman with a mission and a debt card is a dangerous thing! Last night when my husband showed me two "little problems", I came back in from the garage and began hunting, and I think I was mumbling something about, "Oh sure, it couldn't just be easy now could it, this flipping cheap bike from ebay has cost me so much money, I could have had a new closet full of clothes, but OOOOOOH no, had to have a motorcycle!"

Last edited by KellieLyne; 03-10-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Unread 09-24-2009, 06:22 AM

Default Found one closer....

Thanks for the suggestion of looking at CB160's found one on ebay and bought it... it is going to be shipped out today 2nd day air. The internet... is awesome and so is this site. Hope you all have a great weekend.
Unread 09-24-2009, 06:24 AM
Admin

Buying more motorcycles is more important right? I wanted to see how broken yours was that's why I asked for the picture. I know what it's supposed to look like. And now that I have your description of how yours is shattered I don't need to see the pieces I guess.

Here is a good set of CA95 pipes with flanges on eBay. Could be well worth it if someone needed these: Honda 150 header pipes
Unread 09-24-2009, 06:37 AM
Admin

Someone has to keep all these old bikes going. Everyone here is doing a good job, we might see a flood of running old Hondas being restored maybe. Yeah I remember working on old bikes when I was a kid in my jr. high and high school days - NO INTERNET. It was hell and you had to seek out Honda guru's and mechanics in different towns to ask them questions of if they knew of any old Honda parts for sale! And we would have to travel around to get them! I have stories about that stuff but I'm sure everyone has stories about the horrible life we all had to endure without the internet.

I met up with all the guys in a coastal motorcycle group last night for a BBQ and an older gentleman was there that had raced Honda CB92 Benlys and all sorts of older Hondas! He has modified all sorts of classic engines for racing and I got so much info about swapping carbs and boring out cylinders from 150cc to 175cc and all that stuff. I've even been to his garage and seen his stash of modified racing parts he had made for a couple old Honda 150 and 160 engines (now larger displacement) that he never finished. He is currently restoring a Benly CB92 on his bench. I got a lot of ideas now and we talked about leaning conditions that I've experienced under full load with my CA160. One of these days I'll be visiting in his neighborhood and I'll get some pictures.

Yes the weekend is practically here. I'm riding my Aprilia to coffee this morning then putting it away before it gets super hot today.
Unread 09-24-2009, 06:49 AM
Admin

My friend also said swapping the 150 for the 160 is a great idea and would be very smart if you wanted to ride it so we're on the right track for sure. I talked about the gearing ( I want to find some concrete numbers on this) and how much smoother then engine was as well as the ideal location of the timing chain on the CA160 engine. I forgot to mention that the CA95 has 3 main bearings (journals whatever : ) and the CA160 engine is a 4 mains. BIG DIFFERENCE! My friend reminded me of this.** Corrected the main bolt term and changed it to main bearings like I meant to say earlier. The coffee makes me type strange things sometimes in the morning. **
Unread 09-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Admin

To punish myself I created a visual comparison between the CA160 and CA95 lower engine cases. You can clearly see how well supported the 4 main bearing Honda 160 crank is compared to the 3 bearing Benly 150 crankshaft. It feels like a completely different engine in the way of less vibration. And thank goodness the lower oil plug plate is replaceable on the CA160! On the contrary, if there happened to be some damage incurred to the CA95 oil plug area the lower crank case would be a gonner! I had the pleasure of swapping my lower case on my Benly due to some case damage. Stuff happens... especially if the irresponsible owner was hill climbing or jumping the poor little Honda. Actually what happened was that the bolts that hold the footpeg bar to the bottom of the engine got impacted so much that the bolt tore at the case and cracked it.

For a TON of crankcase pictures and Honda Benly 150 transmission pictures head on over to the "Splitting the Cases & Transmission" thread.
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:09 PM

Default ahh ha!

Okay, NOW I understand the 4 main compared to the 3 main. Pictures with numbers lol gotta love it. I am forwarding all of this information to my husband (my mechanic lol), I am sure all of this information will come in handy. I did get all my parts in to fix that 160 motor. It looks like we will be starting on it sometime this week. I will definitely be in touch asking more questions. Thanks for all your help!
Unread 09-29-2009, 06:55 PM

Did your 160 come with the carburetor? I tried to see if a 150 carb would fit, but it was way too small. So I have no idea what I'll do, since CA160 carbs never show up anywhere for sale. Plus, I have to find a carb spacer/manifold. That's going to be fun. Maybe there's another bike with a rubber manifold like my KZ200 has that I could fit on there. It would definitely open up my options as far as carbs that I could use goes.

The good thing, though, about the 160 is that it has a more common intake bolt spacing, as opposed to the 150's carb, which might've been made specifically for the CA95. My Mikuni had the right spacing but it wasn't the right shape. And that's a brand-new pit bike/atv/etc carb. So there has to be a carb that will work out there somewhere.

Last edited by SixtyFiveCA95; 09-29-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Unread 09-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Admin

What wasn't the right shape with the Mikuni? I wish I had time to make adapters for a newer carb that we could source for cheap. Get some more ponies out of these bikes. : ) The 150 needs it. The 160 not so much.
Unread 09-29-2009, 09:57 PM

Default Uh no.....

Crap, the 150 carb won't fit that 160 motor? (sigh) Guess I will be looking for a new carb too. Does it ever end??? My 150 has a Keihin carb. Does that make a difference or is it still different? We havent gotten that far into the tear down, but I want to be prepared for whatever comes our way.

Last edited by KellieLyne; 09-29-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Unread 09-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Admin

No. But it's fun!