FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 01-27-2012, 08:01 PM

Default 3 Dreams for a Benjamin

Wow I haven't even started my restoration on my CA95 and I get an offer to buy 1 CA72 and 2 CA77's all for one Benjamin. All have motors (not seized), two are missing wheels and miscellaneous parts, basically the three bikes were to complete 1 CA77 but the guy lost interest. I may buy all three and just store them until I have completed my two CA95 projects; when it rains it pours Dreams
Unread 01-28-2012, 07:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

It never pours Honda Dreams in Michigan. Post some pics!
Unread 01-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Someone really wanted those bikes to have a good home! Awesome score on those. Definitely pick those machines up... then post pictures so we can drool.
Unread 01-30-2012, 11:45 AM

Doooo iiiiiit!
Unread 01-31-2012, 12:41 PM

I pick them up tomorrow and will post the pics, I will really have a good look at them because last I saw them they were snugged into a van.
Unread 02-01-2012, 03:59 PM

Well I went to pick up 3 bikes and came home with two, both CA77; the CA72 was in just too bad of shape for me to consider. All three bikes were is the typical nasty looking shape and only one motor was not seized, the CA77. I got a set of wheels but only the front wheel was in fairly good shape the rear had a cracked hub.

So I will work with one of the CA77's while the other will be used as donor. I'm gonna stop cruising the the web cause I got more than I can handle for now. This is the the kind of restoration I am use to seeing on this forum, my hands are full now but for $80 for both I can't complain.
Here are some pics;

CA72 in pretty poor shape, tank was rusted through the rear fender was cracked and frame looked like it was bent.

CA77 donor

CA77 with good tank and best of 3 bikes

If someone wants the CA72 I can get for them for $20

Last edited by Nobogy; 02-01-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Unread 02-02-2012, 05:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

For the CA72, you likely could have parted it out, at least the engine, and made some cash. Should be more than $20 in engine parts there.

You certainly have your hands full with the CA77s. Even with the donor bike, you have some serious parts-hunting ahead of you. Are you planning on a full restoration or just to get something to run & roll?

Quite a job ahead of you! If you need any help with the physical work, feel free to ask Spokes or Smithers.
Unread 02-02-2012, 08:11 AM

Yes this is going to be a long drawn out project, aside from a complete engine rebuild it will need wheels, complete exhaust system, seat, bars, numerous electrical items, panels and whatever else after tearing down. I am looking at this to be a project for next year so I will store them in my shed in the mean time. I could have taken the CA72 and parted it out and made a little cash out of it but I really don't have time or space, if it were in better condition I'd have taken it.

These bikes are heavy, I'd say twice the weight of the CA95. I was lucky to have help getting them loaded as I could not do any lifting due to recent shoulder surgery. I had to get the tractor front loader to lift them out of my truck just to save the backs of my helpers. Now that I have these I may change the build direction of my CA95 to complete stock and do the crazy modes to the CA77. Can't wait to be completely healed and get going on these projects it's killing me.

Last edited by Nobogy; 02-02-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Unread 02-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Thanks for the pictures. The CA77 is doable. A good tank, un-chopped frame and good engine are the most valuable things and you have a great start.