FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 10-20-2010, 12:33 PM

Default last thing to fix - stripped thread

hey gang i hope everyone is doing great!

now that the weather is starting to change i think its time to tackle this leaking oil problem and i hope someone here has tackled this problem already

the Rat-Bastard that i bought the bike from had stripped the oil change hole then sealed it with silicone to stop the leaking. i have another oil bolt and washer to replace the bad one with.

so my question is;

a. the tap that i'll need is i believe a = 22 mm x 1.50

b. if i use a Helicoil or timesert to repair the tread would i need a different size tap???

c. is there one repair product thats better than another??

any suggestions that you can offer would be greatly appreciated. thanks lou
Unread 10-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Glad to see someone post! I know the forum has been whacky lately but things will be sorted soon.

Oh no! I can't believe how tight people think they need to crank on the oil drain bolt. >:| Do they make helicoils that large? I would probably JB Weld the threads when I would put back in there and just use a hose (brake bleeder pump) to pump the oil out when needed. I can't imagine anything else holding oil back without a drip or two now and then.
Unread 10-21-2010, 12:45 PM

thanks for the reply Smithers

i thought someone had already experienced this problem and could shed some light on the matter

yes they do make inserts that big and i'm going to give it a try and if i fail theres always your suggestion JB Weld

i'm in the process of ordering the kit now, will let you know what happens

thanks lou
Unread 10-21-2010, 12:53 PM

Hi Lou,
Finally getting settled in MN. I just got back on line.
About the stripped threads. Just for kicks and grins, go to your local NAPA Auto Parts store. Ask them for a self tappng oil drain bolt. Most of the Asian Auto Engines have aluminum oil pans. There must be a self tapping drain bolt to repair those motors. Take your drain plug and have them match it. Then just thread the new bolt in! Just a thought.
Unread 10-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Hey Mad Skills

glad to hear your doing fine in your new surroundings.

i'll give it a shot before i rethread it

chip LMK when your ready for the package

thanks lou
Unread 10-25-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Hi Lou,
Finally getting settled in MN. I just got back on line.
About the stripped threads. Just for kicks and grins, go to your local NAPA Auto Parts store. Ask them for a self tappng oil drain bolt. Most of the Asian Auto Engines have aluminum oil pans. There must be a self tapping drain bolt to repair those motors. Take your drain plug and have them match it. Then just thread the new bolt in! Just a thought.
Didn't know you had moved Chip, I've not been able to get on for weeks.
I managed to find an old link to the forum to get on tonight, everything else takes you to fourwheelperformance.com which seems to be Ryans on line business home page. Clicking on forum takes you nowhere and trying to email Ryan gets a no can connect message.
If you read this Ryan, email me a link that will connect to [email protected] or [email protected]

Good luck in your new home Chip.

Sam.
Unread 10-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Of course I'm reading all this! I check every post when I can. Yeah I had to put everything back to default config for the forum move - so that leaves my homepage back to what it was a long time ago... and instead of changing that to direct to the forum I'm going to have something else in place soon. This is the homepage link guys sorry for the mix-up. Things will get better and we'll be online forever here.

http://www.fourwheelforum.com/forum/

I'll check out the contact links here as well but anyone can email me at [email protected].

Here are some rants I've been having during the move. - http://www.fourwheelforum.com/forum/...ead.php?t=1100 - Forum software update will follow soon and that won't nearly be as much of a hassle so don't worry.