FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-08-2012, 05:03 PM

Default 63 rebuild, Restore update

Rebuild restore update. 8/8/12

There has been progress. So far it’s going good. No major rust or mice nest.

Engine came out fine after I got the mounting bolts loose. They were put on to stay. PB over night and with a large cheater they came loose. No visible rust just tight. Have to dig up the torque spec on those bolts.

Gas tank looks great the chrome shined up nice. Have to test the petcock. The badges are in bad shape.

Exhaust system looks good. No rust just a few dings and scrapes. The mufflers are missing the diffusers not sure what that can effect?

Some small wiring issues. I think I’m back to original state now. I love finding the date on the wires. I just think that’s really cool. I have no idea why it was done. Maybe there was a midyear change? I’ll keep as much of the old wire as I can.

Clutch came apart with no problems. Cleaned the disc and they measured out about .005 under new spec. I really suspect someone rebuilt the whole engine shortly before the bikes long nap. I’ll sand the disc and reuse them.

I’m having a blast. The last pic is a reminder to look off the bench every once in a while. He was just moseying though.

I have used the forum extensively. I thank all that have gone down the road before me.
Ranchman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shop pic.JPG (432.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg wireing.JPG (263.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Batt cable.JPG (284.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Buck.JPG (452.4 KB, 15 views)
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Yep you gotta get into these bikes deep every time to correct fixes that were done by previous owners. That's just how the world works. Every one just patches things up. Jay Leno can tell you the same and tell you the story behind every single auto and bike he's owned. Thanks for the pictures and story. That wiring looks haggard haha. But it works and that's why it is what it is. I love the wiring on these bikes... so simple! I want to do the rectifier upgrade on my blue 150 sometime soon.

Time for a bike stand! You can get those things for like $150 now I think. With a hydraulic pump that lifts the steel platform up a couple of feet. I think they just take up too much room when we aren't using them but heck - I would have a project on mine all the time anyway. I have a sturdy old fashioned wooden stand myself. I collapse it and lean it against the wall a lot of the time. I'll start a forum thread for bike stands and shop stuff soon I think.