View Single Post
Unread 12-18-2013, 11:16 PM

Assuming your clutch cable is not bound,

You will notice a rather large slotted adjustment on the left side of the engine. This is your clutch adjuster. I suspect that the adjustment actuator may bound up with dirt and old grease. Remove the side cover that houses this adjuster, remove the adjuster assembly from the housing and solvent clean it.

While your in there, you will see a push rod. Pull the pushrod and clean it as well and reassemble and adjust the clutch by turning the slot until you feel pressure, tighten the 10mm bolt and further adjust the clutch at the side cover housing and handlebar to the point that the clutch does not slip and you don't grind gears.

Another avenue is your clutch plates are glued together with old burnt oil and rust. Pull the right side engine cover to expose the clutch basket. You may want to do this at the same time you clean the clutch adjuster.

Unscrew the 4 bolts on the clutch "pressure plate" and remove the plates and discs. Try to record the sequence of the clutch plates as you remove them.

Clean the clutch plates and scuff them with 150 grit w/d sand paper (wet) You might even be able to reuse the clutch plates if they look good (meaning they have some definition between the keystone pattern tabs).

Finally, use non detergent 30 wt oil. Do not use Chevron 30 wt oil. The Chevron 30wt oil glued my clutch plates tight and I had to do the above step.

You may need a gasket for the right side engine cover. If not, Permatex Ultra Black Gasket product works well.

Good Luck!