View Single Post
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheLake View Post
Jim,

I'm also in Michigan (I work with your wife at GM). I've used 6-volt Battery Tenders for my pair of little Hondas (CA95 and C102 Cub) with no issues. I have noticed a slight loss of fluid in the batteries each Spring - maybe 5mm, but I just top them off with distilled water and all is well. Not sure why my 6-volt bikes seem to lose water faster than their 12-volt stablemates, but it's what I've experienced.

Since I tend to ride during the Winter if the temps are above 35 and the pavement is clear, my bikes don't get overly-Winterized. I'll put a few hundred miles each Winter on my CB175, so it gets 5W-30 oil for the colder temps. Unlike Spokes, I have Tenders on everything - 5 for the bikes, one for the tractor, and another for the pontoon boat battery.

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

I asked the Yuasa technical service person, Alan, why the acid was evaporating and he told me this is a phenomenon related to 6 volt battery's vs. 12 volt. He also told me a number of things that added up to: The smaller the battery (physical size), the greater the potential for evaporation because of the charging rate of the charger (one size fits all). At this point in the conversation he discussed a timer as a solution, and that others had used them with success.

Jim