View Single Post
Unread 02-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Haha hey guys this thread made me laugh. Yeah you really need some trick engine work (well not very trick just more effort involved) and a bigger carb to get some higher speed out of these little engines. I recommend a CA160 engine and a little custom work for some higher speed. The 160 engine is much better suited for smoother operation at higher RPM and is stronger. Heck if you are going to go through that much trouble you might as well put in a larger engine and not have to modify it at all.

At a bike show last year I saw a CB160 that had a 250 engine in it! It looked great and many people walked right on by it not suspecting anything. But it stopped me in my tracks. It just looked "odd" so I had to stop and my eyes got big instantly as I starter thinking engine swap in to a CA95 I have.

Bythelake: Super Cub! Those are the perfect hunting motorcycle aren't they? Super easy automatic operation and I have a red one with the super reduction massive sprocket as well as the small street sprocket. Yours is super nice Japanese style right there I love it. I have an extra fuel tank in storage for the day I restore the original red/orange bike I have. I would climb out my second story window at 2am when I was a young rebel and go into the barn and push the Super Cub down the road 1/8 of a mile at which I could jump start it and be off riding into the night to meet up with friends in town to go night riding! They would ride CT70s, little dirtbikes of any type or anything they could get with 2 wheels and a motor. Now if some kids were caught doing that there would be huge fines and a big intervention and all that BS. Hah things are so ridiculous now. Anyhow it's all about riding.

I have a lot of seat time on the ol YSR50 Yamaha motorcycle. I restored one and rode it EVERYWHERE when I was a kid. I doubt there is anyone with more seat time on a YSR50 anywhere. That engine ran sooo good it's amazing. I would ride it to work, to parties, to my girlfriends house 25 miles away all the time in the middle of the night... all over the place. And you know that the throttle was maxxed out 95% of the time. It was good for 60mph in a normal straight line before it would stop accelerating with that great powerband. I had a brand new jet kit in it and a race pipe made here by Toomey racing and that thing ran so good for a long time but then at some point during one summer it began to seize up on the long straights during the summer. I would just roll off the throttle and let the engine cool down without stopping. Then I could get back on it and get moving again. That's when I stopped riding it so much and eventually someone really wanted it and gave me too much money.

I wouldn't trust todays fuels to run a two-stroke bike like that again though. Fuel, sadly, is totally different now. I remember the smell, the consistency and color of how fuel used to be. Now it's just watered down with alcohol and fillers... not much oil in there anymore. It's depressing really. I'm sure there are some great oils out there now to help out though. I good rebuild and some high quality fuel treatment and oil and you should be ready to go on those long high speed runs in my opinion. I wouldn't trust any 2 stroke engine that I didn't rebuild though! Ahhh I love 2 strokes!