View Single Post
Unread 10-14-2013, 04:42 AM

Thanks for the tips! I'm pretty sure my carb is good, in fact, a shop once commented on how darn clean the thing was. The only weak link I could suspect would be that I don't have that little black o-ring that fit in the back of the carb pressed against the carb insulator. I can't find one online anywhere. So I made do by filling that cavity with liquid gasket. Other than that, I have what I believe is a good carb insulator with the appropriate gasket.

I'll do some checking this weekend with the spark as well and see what I get, I'm sure my spark plug caps or wires have seen better days.

My choke use, well, I try following what's in the driver's manual. From cold I pull the choke shutter closed and I usually kick start a few turns. Open the choke closer to half, and if the weather is warm it usually starts up. Then I turn the key to night time mode since I prefer having the headlight on for safety. And since I usually have to increase the RPM like crazy, the engine is roaring loud and I have to turn the idle screw on the carb down to stop that as it warms up.

I am new to the condensor concept, but from what I've researched here's what I understand in layman's terms (feel free to correct me). The condensor absorbs excess voltage once the magneto (or maybe the ignition coils) discharges. So like on my Kawie, the condensor was the last piece of the puzzle I looked at actually, I went through the ignition switch, checked all wires, and it checked out fine till I got to the condensor. So my understanding is that the condensor helps the points provide a good blue spark, if the condensor is weakened, the spark isn't as great and to compensate I have to increase the RPMs a whole bunch to get a hot and fast spark? For my Kawie, night-time mode absorbed enough electrical juice it was a challenge without alot of RPMs to start it. On my Kawie, I know that the new condensor helped because I had actually fixed everything else on the charging circuit before that, so it was a process of elimination.

Another thing is that my battery tends to I think it's called overcharge, where over time some of the electrolyte goes down and it gets a bit of corrosion on the positive terminal. It's a new battery (just a few months old), and from my understanding a weakened condensor could also contribute to an overcharging battery.

I guess you can see why I'm really leaning to condensor, but I usually jinx myself that way. There are tests you can do to test a condensor, but for 20 bucks I figured it is easy enough to get a new one. I will let you guys know what happens, I plan this weekend once I visit my parents' place and replace the condensor...well, we'll see what happens.