View Single Post
Unread 10-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I took the valve covers and intake manifold in to have them powder coated a nice wrinkle finish Porsche/ Ferrari style red. The red is a special color that is coming from back east and should be here by Monday. I can't wait to see how they will look. I posted a thread about the powder coating process and the prices typically involved. It is good reading for someone new to the ways. Check it out. I love the stuff.

Powder Coating Information

While this is taking some time I decided to give the block a good scrubbing. I had the intentions of just putting the engine in without doing much to it but since I'm waiting for some parts and coatings I have the time. I'm basically scraping the sludge off and then soaking the whole thing by spraying some degreaser on it. I brushed a lot of the stuff off but it's still packed into the tight little spots and cracks. I have a pressure washer I'll blast it with, taking care to cover the exposed valve train and intake ports with cling wrap. It makes me feel much better having things cleaned up. Now I know the condition of every component.

Power steering pump was leaking in the past which drooled oil all over the passenger side and some around the drives side as well. This was the reason my block was looking a little nastier than expected. Upon openening up the valve covers I found that the engine has less use on it than I thought it woiuld. Looks like I'll be rebuilding the power steering pump as well. It's not hard.