View Single Post
Unread 05-12-2008, 06:21 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

The other week when my friends were installing the new tires they pointed out that the front rim was bent in a couple of places. It seems the previous owner must have been running over curbs or speed bumps with under inflated tires. Hearing this news I was sort of relieved as I thought the vibrations I was feeling were from the rotors. I wanted to upgrade to some OZ wheels anyways so I was glad I could upgrade and fix my problem. I've been getting more work than ever so I knew it was time to bite the bullet.

**A short story about my experience buying used wheels from a crashed bike** Skip to pictures below if you desire.

I eventually found a person that had been trying to sell his wheels for a month. He saw my post when I was fishing around on some forums for a set. I had talked to him before but I just concluded that they were so dirty that I wasn't comfortable buying them. Well now he threw in the shipping for free so I just send him the money to save me the time of waiting for another set. There seems to be a new set of OZ wheels that come up for sale every 2 weeks on the forums. There was a perfect set of OZ's off of a yellow RSVR that was being parted out at AF1 and they sold for $1,500. That's a fair price from a trustworthy retailer who stands behind everything they sell. I couldn't see paying more than $1,200 for a used set from a private party. $1,000 seems to be the low end and $1,300 tends to be the high end from what I have seen in the last 5 months. I don't think used tires are worth anything used from a street ridden motorcycle. People definitely have their preference of tire brand and any tire older than 2 years is trash in my eyes. The rubber is not the same after that much time.

So I ended up buying the wheels that no one seemed to want because the pictures of them were extremely dirty. It's kinda odd for any owner of an Aprilia to let the wheels get THAT dirty so I'm sure no one wanted to bother with them fearing that they were not in good shape. I had to ask the seller a few times about the exact condition of them. He didn't seem to want to answer my question about if they had ANY bends in them. I kept asking because he was parting the bike from a fall he had and he hadn't been showing any pictures of any collateral damage. If they were bent I didn't want them at all. He finally admitted that the front one was bent just slightly and not enough to notice at all. I said I would want my money back if the bend was enough to notice so I made him promise me he was being honest about the subject.