View Single Post
Unread 05-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Ok today was "work on the fuel tank day". I had to get this stuff done so I could put the tank on and not worry about kicking it around the garage. The first thing I noticed is that the tank was not fitting all that well when I bolted it up. The front mounting tab was hitting the rubber cover that protects the steering stem assembly. See the picture below:

I could tell that this was also a problem on the bike that the tank came from. There were obvious rubbing marks. So I took out the ol Dremel tool and did a little shaving.

**UPDATE 10/19/2008
DON'T EVERY DO THIS. =] Looking back this was a mistake and cause a crack in the material where I cut into the tank. I was in a hurry and didn't think this through! ALWAYS make the adjustments to the rear bracket on the tank. It can be machined to give the fuel tank more room to move backwards.

As you can see in this next photo I just shaved enough from the bottom of the mounting tab so that the rubber cover on the frame would be covered by the plastic tab. It's kinda hard to explain so have a close look at the next picture. You will also see that I expanded the holes on the rear mounting plate so that the tank would slide back 3/16 of an inch. These mods allowed the tank to finally sit comfortably on the frame.

Now the front of the tank will seat nicely down against the frame.

Also the rubber tank isolators in the middle of the tank were able to rest on the frame. Here a shot of how high the tank would sit before I made the changes.

Alright the tank sits nice and snug now.