View Single Post
Unread 02-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Alright, well last night I spent some quality time cleaning all the wires and sorting out how they go back around all the front clamps and forks. LUCKILY I took pictures of the front up close so that I could simply put them on my laptop and use them for reference to secure them back in their original position. If I didn't have them I would have been screwed! Digital cameras are the number one tool!!

Just imagine not having a diagram of the original wire positions and not knowing if the wired go through the forks... around them? under the triple clamps, etc etc. Tricky stuff! Even with pictures you have to play around with them since the whole front end was apart and things were just dangling when I started re-installing the front tree.

How sharp do all those wires look when they are cleaned up? What a big difference. My fluorescent zip ties are good for 3hp at least. I'm loving the black powdercoated speedometer/front fairing bracket. It's much less annoying then the silver color.

I also put the repaired oil cooler bracket back inside under the radiators. Thank goodness for skinny hands because it's frustrating getting all the bolts in the tiny little mounting locations. PLUS the nuts that secure them aren't magnetic! So if you drop them you can't use a magnet to get in there and remove them. You might be reading this wondering where the parts could fall in the bottom of this bike that a person would have a hard time getting them out... trust me: when you do this yourself you will be wishing you could use a magnet.

I'm still waiting for one more clip on to wrap up the assembly. But I had plenty of cleaning and fixing up to do in the meantime. I modified the way the oil tank secures to the side of the bike a little bit so that it doesn't put so much stress on the rubber mounts.

These pictures were taken in night mode with my Canon G5. This caused a good amount of color bleed since the built in flash SUCKS bad on this thing. When I get a Speedlight my pictures will look twice as sharp in the shop. But with Laguna Seca coming up I probably will have to save up my play money for the races. B)