Thread: Choke Issues
View Single Post
Unread 05-30-2014, 03:24 PM

Default Choke Issues

I posted a thread last year that I cannot find now so I am posting again.
I have an issue with my '63 CA95 with the choke that is driving me absolutely crazy.
When the engine is cold, if I close the choke before starting (choke closes the carb throat) the engine might fire, might not. It will not start at all in this position, sputter once (maybe) and not again. If I try to start the engine without ever using the choke in the first place, it will not even sputter. The easiest way to get the bike to start for the first time any day is to close the choke, kick it thru 3 or 4 times, then open the choke (carb throat open) kick once, bike fires. As soon as it fires, give it a little throttle and it comes to life. However I have 2 options at this point... hold the idle up by holding the throttle open a little bit until it warms up, or turn the idle screw in a little to keep the revs up until it warms up. If I try to use the choke, the engine will cut out immediately. It does matter what position the choke is in to change the idle speed, but closed kills the engine.
I can take off for a ride immediately without letting it warm up and the bike performs flawlessly. In a matter of a minute or so, I can back out the idle screw if I turned it in and it will idle happily with no further adjustment needed. It will then start with one kick ( actually less than a full kick) and purr like a kitten. One turn from the starter will do the same.
The engine will pull from the lowest speed to full throttle without any hesitation and will run at top speed for miles without a problem.
If I let it cool down (ride it in the morning and want to go for a ride later in the day) I have to go through the previous starting procedure.
I have googled the problem and the little I have found is the same you guys mentioned here before and what I always suspected. It's running too rich when it's cold or cooled down.
How do I setup the carburetor to be less rich when cold?
Compression is good in both cylinders, next to identical 145 lbs.
Spark plugs are a nice golden brown
I tried setting the slide needle in different positions, the clip is now in the top ring (Lowest needle setting). And throttle response is fantastic. I read something about an incorrect float level could cause this rich problem. The manual states with the carb upside down, that the bottom of the float should be 7-8mm below the bottom of the main jet jsu as the tab on the float touched the gas inlet plunger. I have tried it from 9mm to 4mm without any luck.
I hope that one of the guru's here knows how to fix this.

Last edited by grubsie; 05-30-2014 at 03:51 PM.